What if I don't pass schooling for CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Cbass, Nov 16, 2018.

1. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Your not signing to be a slave. You CAN leave, and you CAN work for another company (if they hire you) But be prepared to be sued and have to pay back. Whatever the cost if training, lodging etc... was.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    That's why I call it Indentured Servitude. I agree a driver can leave and many do. However I know several drivers in that first year that have already got 2 raises. We are only talking about a year here. I am also going to go on the record here about something else. Where it comes to these megas that greener grass is actually in most cases AstroTurf. I actually recommend finishing out that year then go find another job with that "year" of experience you now have.

I will say this though. I wish the FMCSA and Congress would do something about some of these real crooked schools and Carriers. It is a dang shame people are having to go through this crap. I'm a big believer in you signed on that line live with it. However that also entails having ALL the information.

4. Metro4050

Metro4050 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2014
    With Stevens they will keep you in CDL school for weeks (or months) and if you're still not getting it they'll ask you to come to Dallas to train on an automatic since that's all they'll have soon. According to them if you don't get your CDL (unless you quit the program) they are on the hook for the schooling.

Rattlayitdown Thanks this.
  5. Rajaumer

Rajaumer Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2023
    If you fail the cdl test your schools gets your skills report or not?

6. Sixela918

Sixela918 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    That is not true! At least not for swift. I left after 3 months. No problem. They just billed me for the remainder of the loan.

7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    At the time this was posted it was common for other carriers to respect a "no poaching" policy - ie if you owed for schooling then other carriers wouldn't hire you. There were ways around it, and it was/is not legal, but it was common.

Even though such practices aren't really followed anymore, you leave before the year is up you'll generally be paying way more than you should have.

8. Sixela918

Sixela918 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oops, I didn't realize this was that old of a thread. My bad.

9. RogerThat72

RogerThat72 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2014
    A literal monkey (the animal) could pass CDL school.

Sixela918 and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. barrylester

barrylester Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2021
    I went to ROEHLs GYCDL a couple years ago and left with a mutual agreement at the end of the 2nd week. Paid me minimum wage for my time and no money owed. I had never in my life pulled a boat or small trailer. I could not grasp the concept and made no improvement to even do an offset even with one on one training for a full day on Thursday.

11. snicrep

snicrep Light Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    I think alot of that is attributable to people that have never made a serious commitment. The drug testing fail is just being clueless. I've managed to get a cold, and get it back in my older age after a long absence, plus got a pilots license, and I'm not especially talented, I just made up my mind to commit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.