What is a Steering Wheel Holder?!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Hazardous, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    ...and then there are those we wish would strive to achieve mediocrity. "Average" to them is the impossible dream.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Yeah, me too! At the Loves in north vegas.

4. TAfool

TAfool Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Mechanical aptitude has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Nothing!

A SWH doesn't:
    Know how to pass.
    Know how to be passed.
    Adjust to driving conditions.
    Adjust to traffic flow.
    Plan a route.
    Plan efficient fueling.
    Optimize HOS logging and many other aspects.

What a SWH does:
    Mash the throttle to the floor or set cruise and maintain max governed speed.
    Hold truck in lane.
    Follow Qualcomm or GPS route.

TA

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm going to disagree with that. A SWH will simply drive the truck, nothing more. A driver will at least attempt to fix little things like lights, leaking airlines and top off fluids.

I've heard it mentioned a few times (maybe not specifically in this particular thread) that when a truck breaks down ie. a blown air line, they will call someone out to fix it as they aren't getting paid to fix trucks, they're paid to drive them. In most cases it could take a couple hours for a road mechanic to get out to you, where as it would take less than 10 minutes to splice in a union fitting. Just think of all the miles (and pay) you're losing in just 2-3 hours of sitting and waiting? I'm not directing this at the guys whose companies prohibit them from fixing it, its at the guys who have the "I'm just a driver" mentality.

6. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  7. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    I
    I agree 110 %

8. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I did, cause I ran out of brake lights and when to a truck stop to buy more. Pull pass the fuel island and replace it in 1 minutes. Should of seen the shock and awe from the steering wheel holder sitting in the fuel island

9. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
    I can fix just about anything on a truck. However the company isn't willing to pay me what the shop gets... So the shop can fix it. I'd gladly fix it, in my own shop, with my own tools... For $100/hour.

hunted Thanks this.
  10. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
    So what's t
    How much less do people get paid for just driving? I've had jobs where'd I'd do everything. They liked my mechanical abilities so much they wanted me to be their mechanic... And drive... For the same pay. I laughed all the way to me seat so I could hold steering wheels. Learned my lesson there. Do what you're told. No more. No less. Once a company figures out you can do more they will require more and don't want to pay for more.

hunted Thanks this.
  11. TAfool

TAfool Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2012

Nothing wrong with alternate views, it make society a better place. However, a SWH can also top fluids and replace lights and still be a SWH.

Is a professional race car driver (truck driver) that doesn't do his own pit work (truck driver fix minor problems) just a SWH?

And lest you suspect I have no mechanical aptitude, that would be incorrect.

TA

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.