What killed the CB radio?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by LimpyLegs, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Cell phones and satellite radio and pod cast and streaming music. Even GPS all help kill the CB. GPS today can even show traffic delays that are 60 miles in front of you. The CB used to be the only thing for information and something fun to listen to.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Still a useful tool, lots of places in North America that have no Cell service or poor service. Great to have in a white out, laid over in a ditch with no cell service. Maybe only communications you may have,
    Nice in bad weather. Nope don’t roll without one and it is always on.
    for instance in 2018 a driver ran his truck off the road. Was pinned inside no cell phone. But several of us heard his pleas for help over the CB. Still a very useful tool.

4. 6cuda6

6cuda6 Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2020
    Why you ask is the CB dead or dying? Because the new generation cant text or faceb**k from it nor be patient enough to wait their turn to talk......

Anyone who doesnt have one in a truck, with it on, is doing themselves a big disfavor if you ever get into a situation were you dont have cell service or you need real time road info fast.....heck i live 10 miles outside of the city and i cant rely on my cell phone half the time.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You mean the ones that don't need such Civil War era technology because they're "professionals"? :rolleyes:

6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    You got alot of steering wheel holders now days instead of dedicated truck drivers like we had in the past. Out there on I-80 in Wyoming alot of pileups were avoided because truckers had a CB and were warned by other truckers of dangers ahead. I used to try to warn drivers going the other way that there was a slow down or maybe an accident or even a piece of furniture in the travel lanes, but got no answer alot of the times.

7. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    I see guys on the side of the road with their hood up and ask if they have their ears on. Nothing but crickets...
    They could save a ton on roadside repairs because some of us are happy to lend a hand but sadly we rarely get the chance.

8. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Why does everyone talk down on the "new breed"? I'm 26 and run a CB, go to work, do my job, and complain a hell of a lot less than the OLD breed. I think there needs to be 2 separate categories, new breed for other drivers like myself and the stupid breed for the flip flop white volvo drivers.

As for your question OP, I think that slip seating has become more common, and the fact that, honestly, 60-70% of drivers on the road don't speak English. I have one, but I turn it off because all I ever hear is pointless complaining and bickering about someone else's driving

9. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Because the new breed brought this on themselves..

10. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Ok

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    Stupidity isn't age restricted, it's by choice. Don't let your age dictate whether or not you have common sense or pride in your job.
    There's plenty of grey hairs that don't have a lick of sense, just dumb luck to have avoided Darwin for so long.
    The industry is full of drivers with no ambition beyond getting a paycheck, drivers of every age, race, religion and gender. Drivers battling a clock and seeing anyone slowing them down as an adversary.
    The freedom of the open road has been taken away and replaced with 24/7 gps monitoring with consequences for a load tracking stationary. The job has become more stressful in nearly every conceivable aspect. Drivers feel no obligation to one another and see no benefit in taking time out of their day to lend a hand or even just be courteous.

In closing...

I ain't got no panties on!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.