What time do most truckers shut down?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by asphaltreptile311, Mar 26, 2019.

1. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    east coast west coast what time are you out of luck finding truck stop parking ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Any time.

The first spot you see is when you quit for the day. Remember a day is not 9 to 5, it's 24 hours. You will be rolling again soon enough.

With that said forget I-81 that has parking between roughly Harrisburg to Tennessee any time after 3 PM each day.

Rounded_nut and Michael H Thank this.
  4. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Of course you will be able to find parking , aka on ramps, or create your own spot, but this is what time, after where you should start to think about parking creativity,and not expect to find something decent. Usually on weekends it's more laid back, and around big cities parking filling up also little faster. But it's all from my exp. Park.jpg

Rounded_nut, D.Tibbitt and buddyd157 Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not a bad chart at all. With some local exceptions.

In the DC area I kept about 20 spots all my own that I could stick a semi into and be reasonably assured of a good sleep without being bothered to get that thing outta here. However all of that has been bulldozed and developed and paved over. Even Manassas where there might be two near the river has pretty much made sure that you could not do it anymore.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I prefer to shut down between 1 pm and 3 pm whenever possible. I like to sleep from 4 or 5 pm until between midnight and 2 am.

D.Tibbitt and flood Thank this.
  7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I like to shut down around 14:00 when running otr, that way I can hit it again around midnight, highways are empty.... Just personal opinion. Right now I doing a local USPS gig for AJR doing postal loads. All nights all the time 8 to 9 hours a day I work the number of days I choose. 2 weeks ago ran 3 day, last week 4 day, this week I ask for 7 days. Love working nights

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    hard to give an exact answer, but the map in posting # 3 is pretty good, FOR MOST TIMES, when you NEED to stop and take your 10.............

what you NEED to consider however, is where you NEED to be and at WHAT TIME...

yes, you can shut down early each day as you get nearer to your destination, but what if you are only about 100 miles away from your destination and you need to start rolling again, after your 10 hr break, but you arrive 7 hours early...can you park on site.??

ok, so of course, you can leave maybe 2 - 2.5 hours to be there, but are you sure the traffic will coopoerate, and now you won't be late.??

i always tried to be at ANYPLACE i needed to be 30 - 60 minutes early when i did OTR....

you really need to consider traffic problems, getting to your destinations......accidents, construction, breakdowns, a plane landing on the highway, a suicide jumper etc....

9. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    If you never have to sleep, you'll never have to worry about finding parking.

10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    print that chart out that wild tiger made and take it with you... just understand like in the midwest where it says park anytime.. the exceptions are the cities... they never have parking... but outside the cities ur good to go

11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    No real way to answer that question, everybody does it different, but also does what need doing at times.
    For example, I prefer to run in the day time, starting at 3.30 or 4 and sleep at night, like the good lord intended. lol
    But I needed to deliver an overnight LTL load, so I picked it up at 6 yesterday evening and shut down at 9 this morning. Not my preffered way to run, but it does get the preffered bills paid.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.