What truck batteries do you use and how long do they last?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Siinman, Jan 11, 2019.

1. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    I got 4 Deca batteries installed for 450. When my bunk heater wouldn't work for more than one night with out running the truck for 2 hours, I pitched the old ones. I haven't had any battery issues since. That was in April. Batteries are cheap the mechanic was insistent that Deca was better it was another 45 bucks. A road call jump is foolish compared to battery prices.

bzinger and Siinman Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Bought 4 trp batteries last year that I barely got a year out of ... they did warranty them in full tho and I don't idle so I'm hard on batteries .

4. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Do you have an APU or just use up batteries?

5. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    I perfer the batteries with larger battery bank so I can run electrical items longer without needing to recharge the batteries when the trucks not running. I've never felt like I needed more cranking AMP's even last week when I stayed the night in wind chills of -28°.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    PE_T Thanks this.
  6. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    Napa 3-1/2 years and I change regardless of condition.

Siinman and bzinger Thank this.
  7. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    My girlfriends jeep had a a AGM battery in it .
    Instantly failed at 3 years ..no start .
    Replaced with flooded battery .

8. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I have an electric apu with separate batteries from the truck ...also connects to the reefer for charging .
    It's a pain in the arse so don't buy one lol.

Siinman Thanks this.
  9. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The highest CCA or (starter) battery will have the lowest amp hours. If you can get a dual purpose that meets the CCA required to crank your engine they will give you more amp hours to run your stuff when the engine is off. Deep cycle (house) batteries have the most amp hours but probably won’t meet CCA requirements.

10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

For those of you with an APU, you don’t want to change your batteries in 2 or 3 years. Wait until your APU begins to turn on by itself within 30 min after having driven for hours. That is an indication your batteries are not holding power long enough, and will need replacement soon. That happened to me in two different occasions. However, I am talking about diesel-powered APUs that turn on automatically to charge the truck batteries when low. I am not sure if this also applies to battery-powered APUs.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    As mentioned above. Bad batteries can ruin alternators. Bad alternators can ruin batteries. If you value your alternator. Replace the batteries before they get to that point.

It's also a good idea to keep your batteries clean. Dirt is conductive and will drain your batteries. And if you don't want to beleive. Grab a volt meter and test the dirt. One wire on negative terminal. Other wire probing the dirt.

In todays electronics. I wouldn't dream of replacing my agm for a lead. Batteries die. And no one knows how long they'll last. Regardless of composition.

My car sat for 13 months before purchase. My agm still worked but not quite like it should. 3 months in it got a new agm. My used bike came with agm. I replaced it last year. Not knowing when it was purchased. With another agm. I'm sure that bike originally came with lead.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.