What would it take to get you to train?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Zata40, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Zata40

Zata40 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Northeast Illinois
    I have no desire to train. But my company’s training program could potentially afford me the opportunity to make about $15,000+ more per year. That doesn’t really motivate me to do it. I like being on my own.

Next week I will be talking with the “boss man”. They are open to ideas to encourage “top drivers” to train others.

I’m curious if any current trainers have ideas. What do you wish your company would do for you for training? What benefits do you enjoy the most?

Or if you’re not a trainer, what is a realistic benefit what would encourage you to train?

I mean... if they paid me a million dollars a year then I’d do it. But that’s not realistic. So maybe there is something else that would be encouraging.

As a solo driver, I’m happy with my pay. I make .50 per mile loaded and empty (paid by performance). We have APUs, refrigerators, converters, new trucks, tv antennas and mounts provided (driver brings own tv), siriusxm radio (driver pays subscription). Peterbilt 579 trucks. 2015 are the oldest models we have. These are all solo drivers. Training trucks have bunks and I’m pretty sure that’s the only difference.

What is a realistic idea I could bring up to try and improve a training program to encourage a driver to train? $15,000 more (potentially if I’m any good at it and train a lot) doesn’t really do it for me, since I’m happy with my current pay.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    If you are happy with the way it is now, why change?

If your desire to train is based on making more money, don't do it.

T recommend any ideas to improve your companies training program we would have to know what it s.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    What would it take to get you to train?

that's not really tough to answer.

look at it in one way, the student, and his/her grades in school, and how good those grades were. high grades? maybe a great student

low grades? then the school pushed him/her thru training

then the overall look and SMELL of the student

smells good looks good?? then perhaps good
    hygiene.

stinks or is unshaven (the guy of course), then you gonna have a problem in that truck

money is always nice, but sanity is even better.

would i train?

not exactly, but i would take someone along for a route learning for his/her route, or maybe on a road test.

really too much to say all in one posting, but in the end, i'd forego the money, the responsibility, and maybe the civil lawsuits should that student get into an accident, and YOU are named, since you WERE his/her trainer..>!!!!!!!

lawyers don't care who they go after. if there is a name attached, bend over and kiss yer buttockal area good-bye

Bakerman, Dave_in_AZ and Zata40 Thank this.
  5. Zata40

Zata40 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Northeast Illinois
    I’m not after money. Basically, they came to me and asked me to train. I don’t want to. Now they’re asking “what can we do to make you want to train?” Maybe they won’t be able to convince me, but maybe there are some ideas that would encourage other drivers to train.

I would make more money. So there’s that. But I still don’t really care to do it. So I’m not sure what they COULD do to get me to do it.

I was hoping someone would come along and say “my company does it this way...”

The downsides like legality of it isn’t something I worry about. I never plan on messing up so bad I ruin my life. If something like that were to happen, I would deal with it if it happens. No reason to lose sleep over a hypothetical situation.

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    In order to be an effective teacher, one must
    1. Love what he is teaching
    2. Know the subject so well that he could explain it in a way that any student can understand.

My goal would be to make the best drivers available. Obviously, I would want to start with a better student.

"But Six, you just said that an effective teacher could explain things in a way thar anyone understands...why would you want better students?"

Stupid is a conscious choice that people make. They can have all the understanding in the universe, but choose to be stupid.

Now, if I turned out superior drivers, I want superior pay.

Oxbow, jraulpilot1998, Dan.S and 4 others Thank this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    For me there would be two non-negotiable stipulations.
    First is I'm training. I'm not running teams. By that I mean if the student is on-duty, I am too. Sitting in the passenger seat actually training.
    Second is a hotel card. Anytime (most nights) the trainee can sleep in a hotel room and use the top bunk for storage....

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    one company i worked for, the trainers ALWAYS got new trucks...yearly.....!!!!

very well equipped too, more so than the trucks the others get.

but that to me, is still not any incentive to train.

i'd be worn out, especially if i had a low passing grade, smelly, fartsy, always snacking student.

Zata40 Thanks this.
  10. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    $15,000 to drive off a bridge,wake up in a cold river and swim for my life?
    :biggrin_25512::biggrin_25513::hello2::laughing3::laughing3:

CorsairFanboy and buddyd157 Thank this.
  11. Zata40

Zata40 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Northeast Illinois
    Yes, but that’s why I created this thread. What would it take to get you accept to drive off a bridge, wake up in a cold river and swim for your life? :D

Dan.S and CorsairFanboy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.