What's a business plan?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Coal Region Deplorable

Coal Region Deplorable Light Load Member

I've never known anyone who has gone to the SBA for anything. Frankly I don't think they have any interest in helping garages,, towing companies, salvage yards, trucking companies, excavation contractors or anybody like that. And I actually don't know anyone who would want to invite a government agency like the SBA to have their nose up your behind

Me personally I don't like Banks or lending institutions. I don't have time for their games and bs. I bought my yard, my building, all my tools and equipment without borrowing money. I'm not going to play "mother May I"with some little snot.

So far my attitude has served me well, I'll be 60 this year actually in just a few months, but hey who knows what the future will bring,especially with this scumbag government we have now who hates anyone with a small business

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Unless we talk about someone without any business literacy in this industry. Total strangers without a clue of it costs to run a truck in the span of not one year but many years, even a decade.
    Yes, these individuals should come up with a business plan to prove that they are ready for the venture. Hell, I am still proving it to myself and it's been 7 years already.:(

Rideandrepair, 77fib77 and bzinger Thank this.
  4. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Solid plan but I feel you are not taking your own advice strongly enough on No.7
    No women till the house is paid off, and when it is ...

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    TallJoe Thanks this.
  6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Lol ill be dead before that .

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I don't care what kind of plan you have, or don't have.

If you like to spend money, you are going to perpetually struggle.

I think you need a sizeable cash reserve, cause you need to be able to afford the big hit.

Let alone ( God forbid ) you get in a wreck, now the tool ( truck ) you blinged up, is basically paid off by the insurance. Insurance has also just canceled you. So now you have..........????? To start all over.

There is calculated risk. Not just throwing caution to the wind.

Effort is the big equalizer for lack of skill. In any aspect of this game. But effort takes energy. And the older you get, the less energy is available.

I've narrowly missed two full on head on collisions in the last 4 years. Honorable mentions for a third.

You can wipe your ### with your business plan then if that happens.

bzinger, TallJoe and black_dog106 Thank this.
  8. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Wait for a girlfriend a few years until your belly gets big. LOL You might want to get your girlfriend before then. Just saying...
    That's the beauty of truckers. Real life.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    When I started I took high interest loans. I had no choice. Then with time I refinanced some. Still, I have a lot to pay back my second year.
    Everyone starts differently. Whatever works.

bzinger Thanks this.
  10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Disclaimer... I hadn’t read this thread at all.

A business plan is something to make new people feel confident in their risk and likely taking in debt. Or, to satisfy investors that you know your ### from a hole in the ground. lol

Any longer term business that starts with a business plan will make adjustments on the fly. Adapt or die.

bzinger, TallJoe and Beaver9 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.