What's gonna happen to fuel hauling?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Life on Wheels, Nov 5, 2020.

1. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    The overwhelming majority of airports require trucks to supply fuel.
    Yes, major airports like DFW, ATL, LAX, JFK or CHI have pipeline supply. But there’s a helluva lot of airports in between.

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    What I find amusing is the more obvious question that all the eggheads seem to ignore.

How do they plan to make all this electricity they want everything to run on?

- Largely populated areas like Texas and California can’t keep up with current demands.

- The eggheads are hell bent on closing the coal burning plants

- Neither hydro or wind could produce enough.

- And, they’ll never allow another nuclear plant.

Personally, I feel the first step should be to require all Kentuckians to travel by horse and buggy.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  4. FFL Trucker

FFL Trucker Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    It's not that they can't produce enough energy, it's that they have a hard time dealing with spikes like every other country in the world.

Green energy can produce more than enough power but it has disadvantages, namely nothing beats diesel for energy storage and you typically have to have a spare generator to run maintenance on the other ones so dealing with spikes is easier.

5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    As long as they can drive them better than they drive their 4 wheelers I'm all for it! Kentuckians seem to be the worst drivers of anywhere I go.....and I've heard other people say this too. I'm not knocking anyone from there or anything but I seriously do have more close calls and see stupidity in Kentucky than anywhere else I drive in the U.S.

FFL Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    In their defense, they’re usually running for their lives. They live in fear 24 hours a day, knowing the raspberry soda could be drained out of ‘em any moment.

FFL Trucker and 86scotty Thank this.
  7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Not consistently. We saw proof of that here in Texas back in February when output from our solar and wind generating fleets dropped to near zero. Green energy only produces power when mother nature cooperates - that is, when the sun is shining and the wind is blowing within a certain speed range.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  8. FFL Trucker

Jul 13, 2011
    That has nothing to do with green energy, it has to do with the fact that Texas entire power grid wasn't set up to deal with winter weather. It's the same thing only inversed up in Washington, we're not set up to deal with heat like you get down in Texas so nobody has AC to battle the heat.

I used to live in a man camp down in Monahan's and if it got too cold the pipes would freeze and we wouldn't have water, Washington state on the other hand has building code to deal with cold weather.

Lubbock is pretty much the wind power capital of the US, the biggest hurdle green power has is energy storage. With a diesel generator you already have that energy storage in place in the form of the tanks that hold the diesel, it's already part of the system.

9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Even the most well winterized solar panels cannot generate electricity when the sun isn't shining and the most well winterized wind turbines cannot generate electricity unless they are turning, and turning at a rate below their cutout speed.

I know, I was there last week. But I'm surprised that Lubbock has the title, I figured that would be Sweetwater. Either way, West Texas is windy. And home.

10. FFL Trucker

Jul 13, 2011
    I don't think the wind ever dies down in Lubbock, it's like Wyoming. Just wind 24/7, gets annoying after a while. But yeah solar panels definitely have their limits, mainly the fact that they only produce power when it's least needed. The issue with either is always the same energy storage, batteries are pricey. I personally think batteries are inefficient and only necessary to stabilize the power , I'd rather use gravity for energy storage.

Yeah sweetwater definitely has a lot of truck traffic carrying blades but it's only claim to fame is being the rattlesnake capital of the US. I used to pick up frac sand at the railyard there and delivered crude oil there as well, I prefer mountains to flat land though.

11. Rodeorowdy

Rodeorowdy Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Anchorage, AK.
    Can I ask you why it sucks?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.