What's it like transporting heavy equipment?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Ddr1992 579, May 17, 2020.

1. chriskc

chriskc Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Kansas City mo
    86A9BEA9-3BBE-45EC-B423-09BFCBFB602E.jpeg That’s on a landoll 440

randomname and Coffey Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chriskc

Mar 31, 2013
    Kansas City mo
    image.jpg That’s what a 323 puts me at. Now mind you I’m in a commercial zone, I can run axle weight. A 323 I think weighs a little over 56,000 lbs.

cke, randomname and Coffey Thank this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, he WAS my superior, shop/delivery foreman. He said, "I'd have turned around and came back" ( and charge them for another delivery, I'm sure) He was pissed I took so long. It was no big deal, the starter was in plain view, 2 bolts and the wires, it was finding the crew that took so long, but he maintained, "you're the truck driver, not a mechanic".Oddly enough, he was a dock manager at a union freight company before that job. :eek:

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you’re gonna drag it over, you have to hit it with momentum. If you’re going to get stuck, it will be close to the neck. If the high center takes the weight off your drives, you’re done for.

If you’re pulling an rgn, call your receiver for directions. Look on a map for Rayville,LA where us 425 and 80 cross. I was routed up 425, and then East on 80 to the recover. There’s a tall RR track that runs parallel to 80, tall enough to high center a step deck.
    Receiver warned me and to me to go 1 exit East. I am glad he did.

6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If you hang up on a RR crossing and drag the trailer across make sure there's no damage to the track itself.
    If the track is misaligned it can cause a derailment. If there's any doubt call the number that's posted at the control box for the crossing.

Coffey Thanks this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Does this scale ticket go with the escavator pic you posted?

cke and Coffey Thank this.
  8. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    As others have stated, its really great that you are researching before pulling the trigger.
    If you want to drive, and you want something that you can grow in, then open decks is the place to go.
    Start with a reputable flatbed company and put in 2 years. Then either move to the stepdeck division or a stepdeck company. After a year or to of that, then start looking for a HH outfit. There are a few companies out there that have all of these divisions. growing within a company is the easiest path. As you will find out in this industry that are 843984 ways to skin a cat.
    I have pulled van, and stepdeck, and am currently looking to move to an RGN. i can tell you firsthand that the open deck work is much more satisfying. if you are detailed oriented and safe, it is much less stress as well. check out my Instagram Loveisapitbull
    everyday adventures

you will most likely have to plan on at least regional for a few years unless you start with a local company. everyone has to pay their "dues".
    pay for your CDL course yourself, sign on with a smaller company, and invest in a few years of learning. then sit back and make yourself indispensable. never stop learning. best of luck.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    TripleSix and Coffey Thank this.
  9. chriskc

Mar 31, 2013
    Kansas City mo
    Yes

TripleSix Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    At least with a hydraulic gooseneck you can raise it. That saved me more than once.

TripleSix and Coffey Thank this.
  11. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    This right here is actual heavy haul .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.