whats the best way 2 load 53ft.reefer and being legal with 40ft.bridge law in cali.

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by chuckysback55, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

well the question is...WHAT are you loading??? we always load single double single if its heavy produce....single then double the rest of the way, if u got something lightlike prepacked lettuce....thats the way we have always done it...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thedrifter

thedrifter Medium Load Member

May 23, 2010
    portland or.
    I have always loaded single double single double to the doors. I have never had to move a box if I did it like that.

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    depends on if you are loading strawberries or citrus- it's totally different.
    it depends on how many pallets also. if my total weight is 30,000 pounds, then I would stretch it all the way to the back doors, if I am maxed out, try to stay 1 foot ahead of the 48 foot mark. I usually load single double single double- all the way back. then when I get to my final stop, I make the guys unload my trailer as far as necessary to condense the load to make it end up where I want it, always with double sideways at the rear to wedge everything in place. if I load all light stuff, then doubles all the way back. it seems very rare to have a total pallet count for all your stops ahead of time. If you load it too heavy in the nose trying to save room for your last couple stops, then you cross a scale in california on your way to your last stop, they will fine you, and make you rearrange the load before they let you go. I never worry about how much room I have, I let the loaders at my final stop worry about making room for their product and making my weight legal.

5. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    if you know ahead of time your total pallet count and your total weight, just remember that pallets are 40"x48" you could mathematically take 48 foot multiply by 12 = 576 inches. 576 divided by 40= 14 so 28 pallets sideways doubled would put you ahead of the 48 foot mark. 576 divided by 48 = 12 so 24 pallets straight in doubled would do the same

6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    You do it just like I used to.:biggrin_25514:

7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    100% correct

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  8. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012

What program did you use for that diagram?

9. traveler559

traveler559 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    It depends on what you're hauling. I haul produce out of California, and if I'm doing something heavier like oranges or yams, I go single, double, single, double the rest of the way back, and have them load the last two pallets sideways, and I'm always good. And I don't let them load me past the 48' mark. Usually I end up with 20 pallets on board.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.