Whats the best weapon to carry?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by buttmeister, Nov 19, 2020.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    That Ruger LCP makes a nice pocket gun. Only 6+1 shots, but if I need more than that I'm probably screwed anyway.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Certain military bases, nuke plants, and the customs at the northern border will tear the interior apart.

sventvkg Thanks this.
  4. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    True dat....

5. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Ya,I tried carrying 25 ounce pistols...Too Heavy and too much work to hide/ dress around.The 10 to 12 ounce Ruger was the winner.I mean you don't want a .45 falling out on the shipping dock! Lmao

TripleSix and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  6. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I've spent over 24hours detained in Canadian border prison (they throw you in a room with no phone and it has no windows) over multiple stunts.

They rip the #### out of your sleeper and don't put your sheets back on.

Dot has been in one time.

Border patrol at laredo has looked in 100s of times off the step.

Delivered to prisons you put all your electronics in a box and they take a quick peep in your sleeper under the hood side boxes while a dog sniffs. (You are in-between two fences while a guard tower looks at you) usually you see the prisoners at the yard staring you down(probably thought I was pretty).

Military bases pretty much left me alone they just asked questions.

Those are some examples of my personal experiences of people going thru my ####.

Happened fairly frequently to me.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  7. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    The best weapon is situation specific.
    A tire checker baton type hardwood stick is a good all around attitude adjuster.
    In reference to firearms, I advocate the largest caliber you can put rounds on target with consistently.
    Having been a firearms instructor, I've been asked this question many many times, and I always give the same answer.
    Spray and pray is only valid in the movies and with belt fed machine guns.
    Self defense application is different.
    In high stress situations, fine motor skills suffer badly, and while you may be able to shoot smiley faces in paper targets, that oh sheet moment will render very different results, I guarantee.
    Accuracy is dependent on training.
    Train for worst case scenario.
    High stress situations will always revert you to your most basic primal training.
    In Marine Corps security force training, we simulated the high stress situation with physical activity and distraction...
    Think 2 minutes of aerobics nonstop, then having 3 crazed drill instructors screaming and fussing at you while you're trying to put rounds down range accurately.
    It's a situation you never ever want to be in, being faced with the choice of kill or being killed, and really you can never be fully prepared for it.
    If you intend to carry, get training .
    Formal training from a reputable firm specialized in carry and combat applications.
    You'll also learn the legal ramifications of carry, the responsibilities you bear, and what not to say in the event you have to neutralize a threat.
    The cops don't care about your rights.
    They want to solve the situation and close the case.
    You need training to ensure you protect yourself, and to avoid situations where deadly force is in question.
    There are times when it's appropriate, and times it's not.
    Learn the difference.
    Never pull unless it's absolutely necessary to protect life and limb.
    Avoid situations and places that are suspect or high risk.
    Train, train, and train some more.
    Then, keep training even more.
    If you haven't put 2500 rounds downrange with your chosen sidearm, I would advocate waiting until you have to carry.

8. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    This really isn’t true any longer.

9. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    I have 4 hobbies fishing,hunting,MMA, and range shooting all 4 are fun even the MMA dojos i go just going out fighting idk just after the fight I get the super relax feeling after all the adrenaline go away more people so get into MMA. pistol of choice is the HK45 I train with it and ar-10 love all my guns the ar-10 even if I had it in the truck would always go for the pistol in close quarters all have been shot well over 3k rounds. I know HK ain't the cheapest choice but it's my favorite and had the least amount of issues

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Colt 1911 45 or my Glock 9mm, Like Carl Maudlin said "Don't Leave Home without them". As far as entering Unnamed location, Where I go have lock boxes, weapons cameras and phones go into the lock box, you take the key and retrieve your stuff while going thru the exit process.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  11. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    That’s a wooden shingle hatchet. Handy tool...

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.