What's Your Story?

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Flipflops, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Big Papaxx

Big Papaxx Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    Well congratulations and much respect. I am just now getting into this industry. Because I want to. because I have read and researched. I have read the horror stories. But then I read or hear from the men and woman who have been in this industry for not years but decades.. Because you love it and while I spent more than 25 years as a successful business man I have never had what you have.. Thank you for sharing..

Flipflops Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    When I was 22, I inherited 2 million dollars from an uncle who had several TV stations when he passed away. I asked around and was told that it was easy to become a millionaire in the trucking business.
    You just had to start with 2 million.
    See my shopping cart? Wanna see my aluminum can collection?

Flipflops Thanks this.
  4. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Wow! See guys like you is what makes this industry great, people that do what they want to do.

Problem is that I think majority of people are in this industry either because they didn't have another job or think they will get rich by driving.

At times I hate driving. But sitting at home makes me miss the road. Then I go back on the road. However I always admired people who love their career, and clearly you are a real driver which I respect a lot!

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  5. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I remember taking family trips as a kid to relatives houses in Alabama and Florida. Everyone else in the car would be alseep but I was always that kid with his face plastered to the window while watching all the semis run past. As I grew up life sort of happened: a couple of tours in the military (with a couple of visits to Iraq), and a few stints in the electronics and IT fields.

After I was laid off from my last tech job with a communications startup I saw an ad for one of the megas. That ad reminded me of how I wanted to drive the "big rigs" when I was young. I didn't have anything to lose, so I signed up. I wasn't too sure if I'd stick with it considering the ridiculous industry-wide rate of turnover but, after two years in the seat, I realized I had found my calling after all.

I did take a break to drive a rollback wrecker for a bit but, like a few people who'd done the same, I actually started catching myself watching the rigs again and wondering where their own journeys were taking them. I didn't think I'd miss the road when I left but that proved to be a lie. Not long afterward I ran into a small operation looking for a driver and hopped back in the seat.

From my experience I think a man knows when he's got it in his blood when he gets off the road like that but finds himself missing it. It's a lifestyle which not many are able to live and fewer still would actually enjoy. I guess I'm one of those misguided few who actually likes what he does (except for the idiot 4-wheelers, DOT, overzealous LEO's, lack of parking, schizophrenic regulations, I'd better stop here, I could write a book...) Other than that, I take a little pride in driving a vehicle not many people can operate, on schedules that would make the average man cry, and the challenge of being expected to do it far better than the average Joe operates his 4-door sedan.

A_C_Cooper and Flipflops Thank this.
  6. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    #### dude! You wrote like a bible a to truckers heart!

FishFanatic27 and Tall Mike Thank this.
  7. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, I have always enjoyed driving and long roadtrip and planning them were a favorite pastime of mine. I had a son pretty young so I did what I had to do and made ends meet and then some and eventually ended up managing a high-end steakhouse for 13 years as my last job. After my son moved out on his own, I realized I had options to do whatever I wanted and I remembered that I've always wanted to drive a truck around the country.
    After doing weeks of research, I still decided to jump in but first I made sure I put myself in the be position. I sold lots of unneeded stuff and then rented out my house. Went through a 3 week "CDL course" then went to a mega fleet to learn the ropes. I have to say after 10 months it's not nearly as bad as some paint it out to be but it's sure not easy money. I came I to this knowing that I'd have to earn a better paying position and that paying your dues was part of it. I did a 5 month stint as a dedicated route in south Texas which was nice to be home nightly and 2 days off but I got extremely bored and really missed being over the road. Now I'm back and enjoying it and am looking forward to the challenges of other segments such as tanker or flatbed. Definitely see this as my calling and very glad I went for it. Oh yeah, I'm def doing this because I want to and not because I was looking for anything to make money. It's those that get disillusioned quickly and washout.
    Finally, I do aspire to own a truck and managing all of the details that go into being successful. My experience running restaurants has shown me that watching all those pennies in a low margin business is the only way to make it in these tough times. I'll end up jumping in when I'm debt free and have my cash reserves built up.
    See y'all out there!

Flipflops Thanks this.
  8. FishFanatic27

FishFanatic27 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Got my CDL 5 yrs ago at age 20. Always had a passion for securing loads at a young age. Went to college and got my business degree. Than I decided what the heck I'll get my CDL as a back up option. Got my first job hauling grain with petes, second job was a rental company like United, it was fun until I got hit by a car while I was in a aerial boom lift basket. Was hospitalized. Dad was retiring and selling his business and I had experience in Flats/Steps so we bought a hot shot setup (his choice) it was ok, didn't make much and ended up selling to our neighbor. Than we bought a class 8 with alum flat and have been doing great with it since. Got married, almost own my house, (starter house), done some cool things and been to some fun places. Wouldn't change it for the world.

I'm here because I want too and enjoy it. Most days I don't feel like I'm working. That is until I break out the 8' drops. Lol.

Sorry about the book, just my story

9. FishFanatic27

FishFanatic27 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2018
    That was pretty darn amazing! Kudos!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.