When a broker threatens to reduce the rate or Freightguard?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by CCCCCC, Dec 14, 2023.

1. CCCCCC

CCCCCC Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2022
    We were moving a load with a big broker, Priority 1. And has one load was late for 1 hr then they reduced our rate. But we did not miss the appt, we got delivered. And also no written term says if we are late you going to deduct. Things happen all the time. If we were late many days, I understand the deduction, but come on! it is just 1 hour!

But the broker said "My Boss is demanding we deduct the rate. Okay, I can either deduct the rate or write a freight guard report. Which one would you prefer?"

What can we do when we get threatened?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Did you call the broker and/or customer to let them know you were going to be late?
    If you didn’t, in my opinion, it’s all on you.

JimmyTwoTimes, Rideandrepair and PPNLE Thank this.
  4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    How are you late but didn’t miss the appointment?

Feedman, ZVar, JimmyTwoTimes and 4 others Thank this.
  5. PPNLE

PPNLE Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Honestly? Take the $100 hit, call it a day, and move on. The freightguard (may) cost you future business. Literally all of your options to fight this are going to cost you more in time, trouble, and effort than the $100. Next time, take a minute to call the broker and advise them of what's happening. An ounce of prevention goes a long way, and bad news does not get better with age. Whether or not you got delivered or missed an appointment is irrelevant at this point; you were late, and they're forcing the issue. There may be business factors you're presently unaware of that cost the broker. At any rate, this is, as lessons go, a pretty cheap one.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I wonder what would they put on Freightguard, driver was late and refused to pay a fee? That sounds like a complete BS. I wonder if there is more to the story, Priority 1 is a decent brokerage

7. Iamoverit

Iamoverit Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    It all depends on what you agreed to in writing and how much of that agreement was upheld on your end. I'm willing to bet you dropped the ball and you agreed to the fines beforehand. Post the rate con and let's take a look?

Feedman and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Why do these always seem to happen 12-3 AM…
    How are you late, IF you made appointment.
    Don’t understand.

OlegMel, Feedman, PPNLE and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I'm taking it as the carrier made it just under the wire of the one hour grace period most places give you on appointment times.
    In other words, didn't make the commitment on the appointment time but got in, or talked them in to taking the load without rescheduling.

Feedman, gentleroger and Long FLD Thank this.
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Didn’t think about that. I thought maybe the whole being late but making the appointment was some sort of Jedi mind trick.

Feedman, PPNLE and 86scotty Thank this.
  11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Coulda been that too.

PPNLE Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.