When am I no longer considered a new driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by otterinthewater, May 24, 2019.

1. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    If I am doing all of the above, and some other things not listed here, where does that place a driver on the list of hierarchy of driver scale?

InTooDeep and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I run for a company that has very well maintained equipment... But that hasnt always been the case... And Regardless, even brand new equipment can have major mechanical problems 2 miles down the road from the dealer.

I carry brake cans, alternator, belts, hoses, electrical supplies, lights, valve stem valves, idler pulleys, filters, airline fittings, and some other stuff... And I know how to replace everything I carry and some stuff that I don't carry.

4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    A lot of companies do not want the driver to have a pair of pliers or a screw driver in the truck, and for very good reason.
    I used to have a letter in my shop that explained roadway drivers were not considered to be qualified to check their own oil, they would pay me to drive 18 miles to where they took their break to check their oil when one of them wanted to bs with the waitress a few minutes longer.

5. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    :D :D :D

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. tramm01

tramm01 Road Train Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Idaho
    That’s what you do around this part of the country

Cattleman84 and InTooDeep Thank this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This is a subject that makes people angry. I have actually sat with my mouth open in awe watching a guy go off about company drivers working on a truck. I have saved myself a lot of time by a quick look. I used to go by our shop and get bulbs and wipers. I got Oil for the APU and have been known to change a tire. The average wait for service is close to 2 hours and can be as long as 3 or 4, and can turn into eternity if the road mechanic doesn't have the proper parts. Same with reefers.

My father taught me a lot about what to look for when the truck won't go.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I'm with you 100% on doing something yourself in lieu of waiting on someone else. That said, I must confess my wrench turning abilities are pretty limited. Lights, glad hands / glad hand seals / light electrical is about my limit.

Hey, but as a former combat medic I'm can patch up mechanics. I had a blow out in Wyoming and the metal strands wrapped all around the wheel (super single). The Love's mobile truck shows up to change it and instead of just cutting the strands, he tries to pry them off with that 3 or 4 foot long pole they use to take the tire off the rim. It snapped up and smacked him right in the mouth and his tooth came straight through his lip. I cleaned and patched it up and told him he needed to get stitches, but only after he changed my tire! lol

9. tramm01

tramm01 Road Train Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Idaho
    Westerners not as sweet as Kentuckians??

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  10. otterinthewater

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    What’d you do when you saw the blood?

11. otterinthewater

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Fixed Mudflaps, bulbs, wiper arms and blades, plugged a tire to get to a TA plus I troubleshoot pretty well. The troubleshooting keeps the techs in line when I do have a problem. I’ve done overhead sets and injectors and rebuilt turbos...I’ve got buddies that spin wrenches and we work on things together a lot.

When you just sit passively and wait you lose loads or create other problems. The simple stuff I’ll do and keep rolling. The complicated things I’ll leave to the company until I get my own truck. I don’t like paying for oil and filter changes either. It’s just too simple to do.

tramm01 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.