Where Are You Continues, Again.....

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Giggles the Original, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    That's great... WA is a very beautiful state... :biggrin_25519:

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Like others have pointed out, the old style food here still tastes good and has flavor,

The thing to find is "heritage varieties" and grow them in more of a garden setting. Most of the stuff in stores has been hybridized for marketability (bigger, prettier, less likely to bruise in transit, longer shelf life.....) not flavor.

I do not really want a garden but am thinking about putting in a green house so I can get quality produce that is picked when ripe, not when best to ship to market.

People up here pass around their "I've got too much of this" fruits and veggies to their neighbors. Last week my wife scored half a box of Rhubarb. We froze half and cooked half. I've been treating myself all week to little samples.

RedForeman, Rocks and otterinthewater Thank this.
  4. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Where the 14 and the 395 come together today was more than a little windy.

New trainee has 1 year experience. Had a couple issues at JB Hunt. Good driver so far. He was on $.99 store account in East LA. From what I’ve read on here it sounds normal to have issues with that account.

We’re headed to Sparks, Nevada and then to Troutdale, Oregon.

Except for the wind it’s a beautiful drive

DB2D2BFD-C5D2-479F-B733-359A39089AC7.jpeg

Feedman and Rocks Thank this.
  5. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Like I told @tucker over in What if it snows thread. Grow dandelions they root easily

Rocks Thanks this.
  6. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Hmmmmm... I am getting hungry all of a sudden... :yes2557: Yeah... if I don't go back to Brasil, I may retire at a place near farms, where I can get natural, fresh produce and raw milk... I think it was Mr. @G13Tomcat who mentioned where he lives, there are some Amish farms and he can get fresh produce from them.... was that you Mr. @G13Tomcat , who said that?

G13Tomcat, lovesthedrive and Feedman Thank this.
  7. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Oh-oh..... :biggrin_2554: Definitely not a good day for those folks....:biggrin_25513: Hope nobody was badly hurt...

8. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I remember when I was living in Oregon.... my ex-husband was doing some work at a house that had fruitful trees in the back yard.. there were many and they were covered with plums and other fruits (can't remember their names)... stuff I never had before in my life... and I was told I could have as many fruits as I wanted and could take them home with me... So, I spent hrs sitting under the tree, eating plums.. and filled up a 20 gallon bucket with those and other fruits.... For a week, I had those fruits every day and night.... :p

lovesthedrive and otterinthewater Thank this.
  9. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Where I grew up mom's house was built in an old orchard. Developer made sure every house had at lest one of the old orchard trees on the property.

Had a plum in one corner of the yard and Apricot tree in the other. Neighbor across the street had apricots and cherries. Good times snacking under those trees in San Jose/Campbell before the Silicon (Silly Con as we called it) Valley took over and destroyed the area.

10. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Folks from my company may be hunkering down right now.... they are in OKC.... the weather looks pretty severe around there right now.... and more to come thru tonight.... :biggrin_2554:

MagnumaMoose Thanks this.
  11. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    In Phoenix, the neighborhood i grew up in was once a citrus orchard. We had 7 mature grapefruit trees in our yard. 4 in front, 3 in the back. The charity food places wouldn't even come pick them up. We used a little bit, most of them rotted on the ground and then "mulched" with the lawn mower.

One set of grandparents lived about a mile away and had a few orange trees. My other grandparents had two lemon trees. I miss unlimited, free citrus everywhere.

homeskillet, Feedman, Rocks and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.