Where Are You Continues, Again.....

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Giggles the Original, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Yeah.. right...:rolleyes: Does it mean you don't eat anything that is not fried or barbequed either?
    You know.. there's a lot of great food that is not fried, but prepared in the oven, or cooked as a stew or baked, roasted... etc..

MagnumaMoose Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I eat some baked food, taters come to mind. lol I do like good stew and roasts, actually will try anything once, except for most rabbit food, and tried it a few times before I gave up on it. lol
    Like my dad said, I don't care what it is, as long as there is plenty of it. lol
    I do love my fried food though, even vegetables, squash and okra comes to mind.

Rocks Thanks this.
  4. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Rabbit food.. what is that? Carrots? :biggrin_25523:
    I have heard many times and read somewhere that fried food is not healthy because of the oils, the fat and frying destroys the nutrients of the food itself... lots of studies on that... but who am I to tell anybody what to eat or not eat..?
    My dad used to say the same thing.. he was a darn good eater... would eat everything and lots of it... he used to say that eating was one of the biggest pleasures in life.... :D But unfortunately, he got diabetes in his 70's... and continued eating what he wanted... Then, he had an ischemic brain stroke... not sure if that was related to the diabetes.. but it was some obstruction of veins in his brain which caused him to lose motion of his left arm and left leg permanently... then, he had to take insulin everyday.... but the diabetes continued its destruction and caused him blindness...
    Don't know if he would have prevented the diabetes had him changed his diet early... But unfortunately this is what happened to him..
    I know Americans don't like to hear that.. but folks from other countries say that American food is very unhealthy.... specially because it's mostly fried, mostly fast junk food... saturated in oils, chemicals and mostly processed....
    Not only that... everything that grows on American soil doesn't have a strong taste.. talking about herbs, leaves, vegetables in general... I bet it's because of the chemicals spread on the soil... and the engineered seeds... :biggrin_1square1: A lot of them have no taste and no smell.. and people don't know how to cook them right... they fry everything.... I can't blame Americans for not liking their veggies.. they don't taste good even when they are raw... and are not cooked properly... the onions have no taste, the garlic have no taste, the herbs have no smell and no taste... I can go on and on and on...
    Well... I just enjoy the food while here in Brasil... and I heard that the food in Europe is much more delicious and there's a lot more variety then here... :yes2557:

SL3406 and 062 Thank this.
  5. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    This is a chayote squash... many people in America never seen it, don't know what it is and don't know how to prepare... The one in America has no taste.. and some are even kinda sweet IMO... it tastes different from the ones in Brasil...
    [​IMG]
    And the spinach.. the one in America has absolutely no taste.... and it looks and tastes very different from the one in Brasil.. this is the American spinach...

[​IMG]

And this is the Brazilian one.. different texture, different shape, different taste...

[​IMG]

062 Thanks this.
  6. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    You may have a point on a tie between the American soil and the taste of the food. The coffee world revolves around what mountain/volcano the beans are grown on/near the soil affects the flavour.

What I see as a consumer here is the hybridization of plants for marketability over flavour. The hybridized strawberries to make them large and pick them too early to develop flavor so that the things survive a trip across the country.

A prime example of produce that was done for Marketability over flavor and nutrition is Iceburg Lettuce. It was developed before we had "modern" style refrigeration. They developed a head of lettuce that they could put in iced down box cars in Cali (changing out the ice along the way, first ice change was Reno area) and would still look o.k. by the time the train got to New York.

The crops have been planted in the same plots for decades. I'm confident this depletes the stuff in the soil that gives flavour to the plants. Large Ag pushing product to large distribution chains are compounding both issues by pushing for "productivity" over what you and I see as quality.

There is a consumer push for heritage foods, old varieties of plants that the big ag folks choose not to grow.
    Old types of Tomatoes, Apples, and other common fresh fruit are not the only focus of this movement. They are also going nuts for Turkeys, Chickens, and other meats that have been over modified and can be more easily "Family farm/home grown". I personally like the concept of the turkey I eat to come from a bird that is not so genetically screwed up that it can no longer fly. I know you don't eat meat, but figure you will see the validity of the concept.

SL3406, MagnumaMoose and Rocks Thank this.
  7. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Absolutely... I agree you are right.
    I once delivered a load of liquid zinc to a farmers' shop... The labels said that stuff is poison and it must be handled with care... but if it is used according to directions when mixed with water and sprayed on the soil it will nourish the soil... and it is approved by the FDA or whatever agency regulates those...

zinc.jpg
    Another time I had a load of some powder... can't remember the name of it but it was something to be mixed with another liquid and then sprayed on the soil in order to absorb the water so it wouldn't be necessary to water the soil so much... :biggrin_2552:
    I was told that even the so called "organic" food at supermarkets is not 100% natural...

MagnumaMoose and 062 Thank this.
  8. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Rocks, I don't have the means to anymore, but I know a lot of what you are saying is true, because for years I raised or bought my beef and pork from people I knew and what they were fed and had them butchered. We butchered them ourselves when I was a kid at home too.
    I also grew a huge garden for years, no comparison in home grown vegetables to those bought at the store. I have never been much for fast food, basically just a couple of times a year to remind me why I don't like it. lol
    If you think our squash hasn't got any taste, you must not have tried home cooked fried squash, better than candy. lol

Rabbit food = salad. lol

MagnumaMoose and Rocks Thank this.
  9. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I understand sir.... and I agree about the home grown animals and food....

But hey... I understand the eating culture of a country can't be changed so easily.... :biggrin_25512: Americans love burgers... and bacon.... that's in their culture for yrs and yrs.... almost "sacred"... :biggrin_25523:

062 and MagnumaMoose Thank this.
  10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Well, bacon does make everything taste better, even vegetables. lol

062, MagnumaMoose and Rocks Thank this.
  11. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Yeah... :rolleyes: I kinda expected you to say that.... :biggrin_1square10:

Interesting... Brazilian bacon smells very different too... I have no idea why... I see folks selling barbecue on the streets... of all kinds of meats... they also sell hamburgers, hot-dogs, bacon... but the smell is totally different from the bacon I smell in the USA.... there are all kinds of food vendors on the streets... no food trucks though... the meat on sticks (espetinhos or churrasquinhos) is very popular on the streets...
    These videos are all in Portuguese.. but they will give you an idea of what I am talking about...

062 and MagnumaMoose Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.