Where do Truckers sleep?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by erricherry, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Fuel pump..no parking area..fire lane..on the shoulder..sleep wherever..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wileycoyote1911

Wileycoyote1911 Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2018
    Don’t forget about bunkhouses at some of the bigger city terminals.

LtlAnonymous and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Hope you like sleeping in a 8 foot square closet. Tho the closet does have 500 hp engine and a window to look out.

650cat425, Hazmat Cat and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  5. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    When I was an over-the-road driver, I slept every night in the cab of my truck. On a pile of old laundry. Because I was young, disgusting, and simple.

When I did LTL, I slept in a motel every night. Some were nice, some were not.

Now that I'm essentially local, I sleep every night in my bed.

And that is typically going to be your three modes.

6. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    At ABF we had the option of sleeping in the bunkhouses at certain terminals. I never did, just on principle. We fought hard to get out of those bunk houses.

Mike2633, lovesthedrive and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  7. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Estes otr is terminal to terminal in hotels. That the only I heard of and they hire people right out of school.

LtlAnonymous and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  8. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    If you can hook me up with a company that’ll put me in the Hilton or Marriott every night we just might be best friends haha all jokes aside from what I gather it depends on if you’re a local driver or an OTR driver for example; don’t need a sleeper if you’ll be back home by the end of the day (local), but you do if you’re gonna be out for weeks (OTR) and man I’m just starting out and can tell you sometimes it’s a real crap shoot; they stuck me in a bare bones International LT with no APU, or inverter and to top it all off my truck is set to not idle after 5 minutes of not driving and I couldn’t run my AC until I discovered a little trick thanks to @D.Tibbitt getting my lazy as to mess around with it again and stumbled across it; it’s not so bad once you’re on your own even in my case, learn to make do and any improvement makes you feel pretty dang good like warm food that doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg from a truck stop or restaurant; as far as where you park your truck to sleep it’s basically anywhere that has truck parking such as Flying Js’, Pilot Travel Centers’, TAs’, seen one that was pretty funny called “Kum And Go”, etc.

faux_maestro, D.Tibbitt and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas

Some of the best sleep is done while on autopilot.

farmerjohn64, 650cat425 and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  10. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I remember sleeping in the bunk back in 2000 to 2002 OTR. So tired sometimes I didn't remember what city & state I was in. After 18 years working in the city and sometimes sleeping in hotels with regional routes I'm hesitant to go OTR again even though now it pays $0.65 cpm compared to $0.32 cpm back in then. Sleeping in my house compared to a truck is a serious sacrifice in life.

Mike2633, faux_maestro and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  11. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Wasn't it Celadon in Indy that used to have basically a jail cell you slept in

G13Tomcat, Upinsmoke and faux_maestro Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.