Where To Go From Here?...

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Call_Me_The_Breeze, Apr 19, 2017.

1. HiLoSapien

HiLoSapien Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Filter, yes. Blower, not for me. A Kimberly Clark required me to use their blower. It kicked up so much dust, the van was a cloud.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    - Danny Herman runs the lanes you're interested in.

- Better get used to automatics. Everyone is going to them. In fact, I've heard (unsubstantiated) you can't even buy a manual shift unless you special order it starting with 2017.

4. EatYourVeggies

EatYourVeggies Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Yep.

I've spoken to several Danny Herman drivers on the road. And they said the manuals are being phased out. This is the overwhelming trend throughout the industry.

Like I said earlier, most company drivers are going to have to live with the fact they'll drive autoshifts sooner or later.

OP, the writing is on the wall on this subject. It's a safe bet even companies like Old Dominion will eventually go auto.

You really should look into line haul for an outfit that doesn't have driver-facing cameras. It fits most of what you're looking for.

Call_Me_The_Breeze Thanks this.
  5. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    does the 2nd hand smoke bother you if you use a truck that had a smoker in it or just when somone is smoking?

6. EatYourVeggies

Nov 10, 2016
    Looks like OP is highly allergic to any form of second-hand cigarette smoke.

7. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Call_Me_The_Breeze Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I most certainly am not exaggerating. This started almost fifteen years ago when I was driving a taxicab. I didn't believe my doctor when he told me, and got sick again letting people smoke in the cab. You have a choice to smoke, but I don't have a choice to breathe. So... are you a doctor? Then who are you to say I am or am not 'exaggerating'? Oh, and you're on the ignore list as well. I've said it before, if you have nothing useful to contribute, don't bother.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  8. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Dec 30, 2015
    Yessir, you hit the nail right on the head. I had to swap trucks before I even started my last job because the previous driver was a heavy smoker.

I guess auto-shift isn't so much my problem as the fact that the only auto-shift I've driven had the manual mode locked-out with axle gearing that rendered the engine brake useless at the governed speed (1100 rpm at 68 mph). So how exactly was I supposed to get the revs up to use it with the manual mode locked out? I would think setting one up this way wouldn't be legal, but that's another can of worms for another day.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The closest company that may fit most of your details is Danny Herman Trucking. I think they have some autos, the industry is going auto and that's that. If you get serious medical reactions to the hint of smoking get out of trucking. Smoking is stupid & dangerous & expensive and Low-class like a f***t in church, but nothing you or I can do about it. Don't confuse a preference for a life or death situation. Good luck.

Call_Me_The_Breeze Thanks this.
  10. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah, that's kind of what I'm afraid of... But I guess it is what it is. Was just hoping some folks on here might have an idea or two I might look at.

Oh, and BTW... "Tilted antennas are this industry's version of saggy pants."... LOL. I get where you're coming from, but unfortunately, some models (such as the Cascadia) you can't get a good SWR any other way.

11. EatYourVeggies

Nov 10, 2016
    You are correct. With so many outfits going autoshift, a disturbing trend is they are removing the manual option.

A buddy of mine drives a shaker with the auto and the manual option. He states the manual mode helps him pass on hills and also gives him more control in icy/snowy conditions. I believe him.

With any luck, you might find an outfit that keeps the manual mode intact.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.