Which gets me driving solo faster, CDL A from DMV or attending a company sponsored training academy

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Sunset chasers, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I worked for a mega carrier and they told us the reason for all the training is the lawyers. They know some driver will have accidents. So when they are in court. They can't just say we hired a new guy without verifying he can drive a truck. So that what the training is for. Now they have a paper trail and can point to real training experience in court if needed to cover their butts.

So if you get CDL just by passing the road test most mega trucking company will still make you do some training. So you save money on that but you still might end up working for low wages anyway. So you get stuck working for a company that hires new drivers until you get more experience. You can work for the Russian guys that basically take advantage of their position of hiring anyone with CDL because they plan on not paying or what ever scam they can pull. Because they are not regulated. If they don't pay no local law will stop them. They close up business and open under a new name the next day because they are setup to cheat the system and know how to do it

If you look hard you probably can find a real trucking company that might take on new CDL driver without training or experience. That Chinatown guys seems to know every possible trucking company their is

TripleSix Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    Personally would choose an actual school, vs a company training the thing is they have you sign a contract but the worst part is rolling of the dice of a trainer that you have to put up with. I certainly wouldn't want my woman learning from a strange dude like CR England and get raped

As for work some oil field are so desperate they will higher straight out of school, there's also local work some might want you do dock work and have you drive when they down a driver.

Knew someone who did something along those lines and drove it 20 times tops he told me and they counted it as a full 2 years because he was employed with them even though he was mostly a dock worker.

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Look for a tec. coll. near you, most have truck driving class that may be hooked up with a big truck co. and you will be driving their trucks while training but do not have to go to work for them when you finish, bur their co. man will be trying to get you in with that co. but you dont have to go with them you can ck. around with other co. to get hired on while you are in school?

5. mad dog 1970

mad dog 1970 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Why would Wilson be the first choice? Just curious as I’m looking at Stevens. With so many options and so many directions I can go yet so little experience, it’s hard to feel confident I’m making the best choice for me.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I like Wilson's training program. Very little classroom and a lot of OJT with an experienced driver.
    The pay is good; right up there with experienced drivers at other companies.

7. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    To clarify, are you asking if you should attend a CDL school and pay for the school out of your own pocket or attend a company sponsored CDL program? Or are you asking whether you should go test out at DMV and rent a trick to get a CDL?

CDL school give you more freedom to go to diff companies and be a bit more picky without a contract normally, -lis a lot of companies will pay you back monthly for the cost of the school. Will have to train with a trainer

company sponsored is training with them and then s9gning a contract to drive for a period of time or so many miles. Will have to train with a trainer

Testing out at DMV and renting a truck to get CDL is going to limit many, many companies from hiring you due to insurance regulations and wanting to keep the motoring public safe from untrained driver.

8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    What is your definition of a "good trucker?"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.