Which is a tougher job: OTR driver or heavy-equipment operator?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TomCougar, Feb 29, 2020.

1. TomCougar

TomCougar Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    Which trade is more prone to serious injuries?

My grandfather was a union cat-skinner from 1958 through 1973, age 50-65. He was Operating Engineers Local 3, San Francisco, CA. He broke both arms during his career. He did highway construction and excavation. One time slipping and falling off a Caterpillar tractor. Another time some bonehead with a steam cleaning wand blasted him and knocked him off a tractor. He said he started his career oiling the machines. His wife got him this employment by whom she knew. I understand hard-hats may have to work outdoors a lot and in nasty weather. I wonder if modern CAT earth-movers have such comforts and a/c and heat in the cab even. I think the mega-carrier truckers still make more money than the yellow CAT operators.

Both fields involve the operation of diesel equipment. Both may also require a CDL. I think truck drivers would wish there were many more road construction workers in force. America's highway infrastructure is the royal pits. I know how rough I-25 is in Colorado. Southern Wyoming, Oklahoma and Texas panhandle roads are driven torture devices.

My grandfather had a hand in building I-280 along the San Francisco peninsula to San Jose. I think it opened in 1971. It was always as smooth as a baby's bottom. Nothing is such a driver's friend as a glass-smooth road.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Coffey, Doealex and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    OTR is easy work, so no comparison.

G13Tomcat and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I been equipment operator and truck driver and equipment was a little tougher physically . Well mostly because i worked my way up with a shovel in my hand. Truck driving otr aint easy either but it fits me better cuz i like to work alone

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I have yet to find anything really hard about OTR.
    Sometimes the hours can suck, and sometimes a low trailer that is hard to crank up. But other than little things that don't happen very often, not so much.

Heck, being a banquet waiter was much more difficult than this job.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  6. Michael 247

Michael 247 Heavy Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Dublin Va
    A lot of equipment has A/C now ..But I guess a lot don't have A/C

7. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I would trade a family jewel a kidney and part of my liver to have an equipment operator job near my house that paid north of 45K

Doealex and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Most of the guys I know running equipment in the woods are making that much and more. They're not working twelve months out of the year either.

9. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Didn't @scottied67 start out w/ equipment, and then go into trucking...eventually obtaining his own tractor?!?

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I am a member in good standing with my union, Local 34 out of Oakland CA. I drove pilings and built bridges from 1990-2008 all over northern California. Worked with many operating engineers from Local 3.

Also worked on I-280 retrofit in the mid 90's. We built falsework and jacked up both upper and lower decks and knocked out the bridge columns and rebuilt them. I will have to dig out my old pictures and scan them.

@G13Tomcat no, operating equipment was out of my union's jurisdiction, but back in those days we did operate forklifts sometimes. Nowadays, I'm pretty sure Local 3 enforces their jurisdiction over that work very diligently.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  11. TomCougar

TomCougar Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    I'm going to have to venture a guess and say OTR is relatively "cush" compared with heavy equipment and likely better paying to boot and perhaps less dangerous. There are no nasty bulldozer blades to bust your arm on when you slip and fall down on a tractor. My grandfather said some of those hard-hat foremen were jerks. My grandfather did not start with a shovel in hand but with an oil can and grease gun: he was union from the get-go. The unskilled laborers, many Mexicans and blacks then in the 1960's, got the shovels in hand and sometimes the jack hammers. Heavy-equipment men work closely with other people and their safety depends a lot by others around them. I think truck drivers are largely in control of their own level of safety or danger. Most driver deaths and serious injuries are the fault of the driver himself. I like the idea that in a truck you don't have boss in your face dogging you.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.