Who drives without a GPS or dash cam?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 1278PA, Feb 19, 2016.

1. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    I never used a GPS its just a distraction. You get the basic info over your Qualcom and simply call for directions one you get within about an hour. GPS's can get you into a bad spot

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    I have both a GPS and a dash cam. To be honest, I pretty much only use the GPS for ETA, makes it much easier to budget my time properly.

4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Or even parks if you are driving in kentucky.

5. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    No gps (use google maps and truckerspath app) and no dash cam.

Although possible in the future. I can't burn all these loves points on roller dogs and mt. dew.....

The thought of hanging gopros all over my rig and making some cool videos has crossed my mind but then I'd need to make time for editing

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Dash cam can also be used against you. If you had been drifting back and forth before the accident they could make a case that you were driving fatigued. Even if what really happened is that your lit cigarette fell into your shirt pocket.

7. 426yankee

426yankee Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Charlottesville,VA
    When I started, in 2005, I didn't use GPS or a dash-cam. I was taught to use the atlas for the journey, and the company provided directions from the last freeway exit. Those were always questionable, but with time you got used to it. Nowadays, I do use a GPS mostly for the last mile stuff, it is really helpful. I also use Google maps for getting a good look at the shipper/destination. Doing that really helps for finding the right entrance/exit points, I consider that info very helpful for places I haven't been to before. You'll do fine starting out using just an atlas till you get rolling with a few paychecks under your belt. The dash-cam is one of those things that is a nice thing to have when things go bad. You may only need it once, but it is good to have, like one of the others said, a good Christmas wish list kind of thing. The best tools to have are your phone, and your common sense. Safe Travels

8. RMU91

RMU91 Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2016
    That's almost the way I started in 1979. Even though I have been out of the industry for 25 years and I'm making my way back in, I fondly remember getting hired by Helms' Astro Division, loading the coils at U.S. Steel's Irvin Works, and learning my way from Pittsburgh to Chicago, the hard way.

But, I digress... Freddy's post mirrors my experience, and I am sure the OP will be fine with a Road Atlas, a CB Radio, a Smart Phone, the ability to use all three, and a strong desire to learn.

Stay Safe!

9. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    No. They are still used by camel caravans in Pakistan.

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  10. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    It rarely ends well when they have access to cellphones.....lol

11. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    side question about GPS....

are they're any models anyone knows of where I can put in my own directions that I decide on from google maps/road atlas....so I can pretty much just have it as a guide as to letting me know ill need to be in these certain lanes in a few miles (like when going though interstate around a big city and the lane layout is constantly changing), how much further till the next turn, etc.....essentially just a helper instead of it making the way for me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.