Who Hires New Maine Drivers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by renrat, Dec 8, 2023.

1. renrat

renrat Bobtail Member

May 13, 2022
    Just finished my first week of CDL class at a local technical school here in Maine. I'm looking for insight on what my options are as far as work opportunities go.

The issue I'm running into (that I feel justifies the creation of this thread in spite of the 10million others like it) is that I live in Maine. What I mean is most of the larger companies who hire and train new drivers do not recruit from this far north. Only mega carrier I've seen recruiting at my school is schneider and they want us to do 12days out 2 days off all in the Massachusetts region (not really what I'm looking for).

What I'm looking for is;
    1. OTR away from north east, home time up here is less important than getting away from north east. Strong preference on west of the Mississippi. Two or three months out west, one week home time in Maine would be ideal.
    2. Training, this is a starter company so pay is less important than high quality training. I'm perfectly happy to make a little less now if it means I'm making an investment in my skill set.
    3. Class-A long haul driving. I'm hearing a lot about local class-B stuff in my school but that's the opposite of what I'm looking for. I want that wide open highway thing and verifiable class-A experience for the resume.

I had been looking at Roehl a while back because I heard they have one of the best training programs, but they don't recruit this far north.

Bison might be an option but I'll have to get my passport and make it crystal clear to them I don't want one of their N.E. routes.

Who else can you all recommend I look into? Thank you for any and all advice.

Inb4: paging @Chinatown

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    For the best feedback & suggestions: what is your zip code?

Also: what endorsements do you have (if any)?

If you don't have any endorsements -- seriously consider picking them up (hazmat, tanker...& doubles/triples) -- they will open doors (& make more money) for you.

:Transportation cost

-- L

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Bison blows…..

5. dave01282000

dave01282000 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
    I lived in Maine until recently and went to NTI in Scarborough for my CDL. Prime hires out of Maine and they have a decent amount of freight going in and out of there. Some people don't like that they do team driving for training but it worked out for me and I thought they were a good starter company.

I drove OTR with them out of Maine doing reefer for a little over a year. I've seen other Maine drivers in here who will probably pipe up as well.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
  7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Given the current very tight CDL job market for new(er) drivers -- Schneider might just be the ticket you need to get started right now.

The job market is simply too bad for you to be picky -- with no previous experience.

Schneider is where I started out; with them, I ran the eastern half of the US -- you could certainly do a lot worse (& many beginning drivers have -- stay away from TransAm!!! :eek:):

Schneider -- OTR class A driver -- eastern US -- paid training -- Portland, ME

-- L

Hawkeye72 Thanks this.
  8. renrat

renrat Bobtail Member

May 13, 2022
    @lual
    Zip code is 04401. I will have doubles/triples, tankers, and hazmat when I finish the school. Also I'll be taking the test in a manual wirh air brakes so no restrictions there.

@Cat sdp
    Why?

@dave01282000
    I'm at NTI in bangor right now. I don't mind the teams thing for training but once training is over I'm not really trying to bunk with someone.
    How was Prime's training? I mean coming right out of school how much did they teach you about maneuvering the truck vs just throwing you to the wolves?

9. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015

Trimac Academy – Trimac

Careers - Drive with us

Driver Careers | Challenger

Careers – Job opportunities | Normandin Transit

JOBS

10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.