Who is hauling so cheap?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Hauler545, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Hauler545

Hauler545 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2019
    The rates are absolute trash but everything is flying off the load boards. Im on the west coast and whatever was $500 is going for less than $300 now. Big brokers like Metro offer some ridiculous rates, It's become a joke. They are all taking advantage of it. Coast to coast for 30 cents a mile like 20 years ago. There must be tons of new carriers that are so desperate trying to make those payments.

I don't get it. Trucks, trailers are so expensive, fuel and insurance. Then of course proper maintenance on a car hauler is not cheap. And driving in this brutal winter weather is so risky and ruins your equipment but people have no issue working for peanuts I guess. Not to mention the toll it takes on your body.

I park it in the off season, trying to only work march-sep. Much better off in the long run. Whenever I see those crazy blizzards and pile ups I feel sorry for all those poor souls being out there working for barely anything and risking their lives.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I think that's a lot of it right there.

Opus, jamespmack, bzinger and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Last I heard there were thousands of units waiting to ship for overflow rates at multiple GM locations. That may be changing soon as GM is idling the Ft Wayne assembly for 2 weeks. That location had thousands of units waiting to be shipped and they have offsite yards specifically for non union people to haul them on the spot market. I don’t know what your idea of good money is, but $9,000-10,000 a week after the company cut to the truck hauling long term contract freight is doable with several carriers. That definitely isn’t load and drive 2,000 miles, it’s load 6-10 short loads a week. The work is there for those who don’t mind loading and unloading daily or more than once a day sometimes. The locations I am familiar with have plenty of freight for their trucks to haul.

5. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Also my experience is the further north, the better the rates. Down south freight rates sometimes suck! I don’t work in snowstorms, but do routinely work with ice sickles hanging off my Stache. What else am I going to do, sit at home by the fireplace?

6. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Yes, I thoroughly recommend sitting by the fireplace.

7. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    30 cpm. I'll just haul ice. 20230223_093730.jpg

8. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Don't take it to So. CAL - they don't need any there right now.

Banker, Tropsnart and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  9. FLHT

FLHT Heavy Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    i read GM is going to dry up their inventory on dealer lots.
    That is why the shut down of the Ft Wayne plant...

Banker and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  10. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    That’s either an old picture or you became a hard working carhauler again with the high rail. I will stick to being a lazy carhauler with my quickloader.

11. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    How about sitting by the pool in a couple more months? I was in shorts on the front porch Thursday at 72 and then 20 windchill the next morning in Indiana. He seemed to enjoy the brief nice weather in late February. 8CF59999-8140-4CD5-83E5-5EA1B348B6F7.jpeg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.