Why are American port drivers being treated so poorly?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TomCougar, Jan 26, 2020.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Better switch to de-caf. Either that or quit reading Edward Abbey stories.

spindrift and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Oh, i didin't know...at least my memory isn't TOTALLY failing me; just my time on TTR has waned, as the teens' needs grow....LoL~! ;)

REO6205 Thanks this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm not sure how a "port" thread morphed into a union thread, but here is my take on it. I have repeatedly stated in these boards that I am not pro or anti Union. I also have delivered and picked up loads in the nation's ports both pre and post, Patriot act - TWIC. I always tried to handle myself as a professional and showed those that I interreacted some respect. Did I run into ignorant? All the time. The thing is, as a driver I ran into ignorant most everywhere I went. Psssss, don't tell anybody this! But we have ignorance even on the internet!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Yeah, I remember the teens and pre teens years. I didn't think it was possible that four kids could have so many different things to do in four different directions at once. I found out.
    I made it to all the ball games, karate tournaments, swim meets, music recitals, and school plays but it took some scheduling.
    They got cars and drivers licenses as soon as they could qualify.
    I'm getting my revenge now. All the "kids" have kids of their own...and they sure put on the miles.
    And yeah, I still go to all the events.

spindrift and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Very commendable, for sure~! (See why I had to take a 'night job/home daily/off weekends?') SMH.. but .. oh well~! Mine are 19 and youngest 16 tomorrow. Yay, haha! No grandbabies yet..though.

Events are never ending, LoL~!

REO6205 Thanks this.
  7. TomCougar

TomCougar Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    The HOS rules limit hours anyway.

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    HOS rules were originally designed to stop this. The HOS rules today really only control actual driving time on the 11 and 14 hour clocks. What happens during dock time is very much different. Another misconception as it relates to HOS rules is the "local" exceptions to logging and I would add that some people fail to understand that for the purposes of logging, a CMV is defined as ANY commercial vehicle with a rated weight of 10,001 or more pounds, NOT 18 or 26. This means local exceptions as well as OTR. The HOS rules do a lousy job of protecting drivers. What still infuriates me to this very day, is these same HOS rules that were created to help drivers is used against them because of $$$$$.

9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I am a proud 30 year member in good standing with my union. We build the deep foundations for bridges and skyscrapers, docks, wharves, and piers.

Unionism built this country and the MAN has hated it ever since. It is amazing that the MAN has been able to convince the everyday proletariat that the union is bad.

For his biggest magic trick to be seen next, stay tuned while the MAN convinces you that a robot would do your job better.

Flat Earth Trucker and 12 ga Thank this.
  10. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Proletariat? Isn't that a Karl Marx word from his Communist Manifesto?

11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    It is a term that goes back to ancient Rome.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.