Why are you driving so FAST with fuel costs so high?!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckerPete1990, Jan 26, 2023.

1. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Can someone please explain with rates being low and fuel being high and still going up WHY are you driving 75+ in 70 MPH zones? You should be driving slower to save more fuel and money.. I set my cruise at 67 and im getting passed like im 45 mph in a 70...
    Each of there own but i mean Lets say 65 vs 75
    that's almost a full MPG less then running 65
    at todays price that's a difference of $11,905 that i would have more in my pocket at the end of the year.
    Now sometimes yes a load may require it but most of the time its not gonna if you stop spending more then 10 hours in a truck stop lol

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I didn’t think my $4.34 a mile last year was all that bad, I do the speed limitish (no more then 5 over) useless after 2 passing attempts someone still wants to race, then I grab the stroll hole and let her fly

usually all the governed eld trucks blow by me in the construction zones though

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I like 64... even though it will do 85

Saves some fuel, don't have to watch for cops, in canada where they're mostly all at 65 I'll actually put it on 62 and just be like a smooth rock in a stream letting all the 65ers go past... also have had a few times over the years whatever unfolds in front I like the extra time to react. Only get on it when I need to.

5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Doesn't bother me how fast other people run. The only time I get on it anymore is if I'm in a hurry or I wanna get out of a pack of trucks. It gets annoying having someone pass you only to have to go around them on the next hill time after time. Most of the time loaded I run 65 in 12th and 68 empty in 13

6. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Doesn't bother me only thing that annoys me is for example doing 55 in the construction zone in left lane and trucks still doing 70+ and it's almost everyone anymore.
    Now my truck will run 95 all day long but I prefer to keep that extra money in my pocket. I've also found by slowing down I'm nowhere near as stressed until that fool passes you and slows down then decides they want to play games...

7. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I work hard to plan my week in a way I can profit the most. Yeah, I slow down when I can, but I'm usually scheduled so tight I need to run at least the limit when possible, for my full allotted time.

I'm not the guy runnin by at 80 then you pass me at the truckstop. I'm the guy runnin 80 (when possible) who's 100 or more miles further along than I would be at 65.

HoundDog7, Last Call, AgPilot1 and 7 others Thank this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Company drivers don't worry about fuel price and dispatchers/customers don't care what anybody spends on fuel.

9. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Doesn’t matter! Just move over and let them go.

Dont be a left laner.
    Don’t be a monkey in the middle.
    Don’t cut out in front of that truck that’s gaining in the other lane.
    Don’t pass on the hill if you can barely complete it or your pass will seriously slow the rest of us who have just had to hit our brakes going uphill because of you.
    Don’t pull out to pass and take miles just to get close to them.
    Don’t take miles to finish the pass.
    Don’t hang out in a fast lane for miles after a pass.

10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Hurry up get there so you can shut that fuel drinker off.

JoeyJunk, Numb, dwells40 and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I gotta go...

JoeyJunk, truckguy391 and Dave1837 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.