Why did all mega carriers stop using manual transmissions?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Trucks66

Trucks66 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    I thought manual transmissions were cheaper to fix. So why did all mega carriers stop using them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Fuel economy.
    That's what all the mega's have stated.
    I drove for a large hazmat/tanker company and the company switched from stick shifts to automatic transmissions, to save on fuel costs. We were told a massive amount of money was saved on fuel costs. We ran 48 states and Canada.

4. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Driver recruitment, and maintenance involved that's often caused by misuse.

Cheaper to run auto's, especially nowadays, at least for large places.

O/O who cares about maintenance and life of service, the manual can't be beat

mitmaks, MadScientist, Dennixx and 4 others Thank this.
  5. dave01282000

dave01282000 Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
    I've been told that fuel is EVERYTHING for the megas, especially considering the way the diesel prices have been the last few years. I was one of over 8,000 drivers at Prime...you multiply even a fraction of a MPG in savings and there you go.

Also one less potential sticking point for training...gets fresh meat into the seat quicker.

mitmaks and mustang190 Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Like @Chinatown says. Autos were sold to save fuel. They also allow companies to hire people that can't drive a stick to come get paid to stare at their smartphone 23 hours per day.

7. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    They all say that but I drove 2 of the exact same trucks spec'd exactly the same, minus the trans, and the 10 spd manual got better mileage than the 12 spd auto

8. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    So they can put anyone that can fog a mirror in the drivers seat. They are less likely to damage an automated manual.

9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    That's because you know what you're doing.

When you look at a scatter plot for our fleet, year over year, pre autos the best fit curve made a left skewed bell curve. As we transitioned, the curve shifted to the right and began to tighten. Those who traditionally topped the mpg leader board dropped, but everyone else was forcibly dragged up. The range between top and bottom performers is much smaller, and the fleet average is significantly higher.

The other thing I noticed is around 3 months into my first auto they changed the programming and my fuel economy went up
    I also learned how to drive the dang thing, so I don't know which factor had the larger impact.

10. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Sitting there; seeing the terrain, hearing the exhaust noise level, feeling the drag increasing. Then smoothly selecting the appropriate gear will always beat a staged/programmed box. Especially in those pulls where a knowledgeable driver knows he can lug down 10 RPM longer and it will level enough to pick back up and go on to the top in the present gear. (Proviso.. This is predicated on you having a driver in the seat)

11. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    This sums up most of it. The slack jawed nose picking droolers got a huge bump in fuel economy since the auto could cover just how BAD they are at driving, while the actual drivers got a cut sadly the droolers outnumber the drivers 80 to 1 at best so...better to kneecap the few actual drivers then the ocean of steering wheel holders.

Additionally it opens options to hire as others have said since even the low bar to having the brainpower to use a manual is now gone. This also saves on repair costs since these idiots dont torch the clutch and clutch breaks or blow out bells and drive lines. There is also the fact so many of these so called "drivers" have so little brain capacity to begin with that even expecting them to be able to do two complicated things like shift and look for a turn is too much to ask.

Dont belive me go watch youtube. There are MILLIONS of examples.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.