Why do drivers keep IFTA stickers on truck for years?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by TMNTFan4Life, May 24, 2024.

1. TMNTFan4Life

TMNTFan4Life Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    I’ve noticed this a lot. A whole roll of them. I only have the current one on my truck. Is it required to show previous years tags? If so how do you go about getting the old year tags?

gentleroger and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    It's kind of a thing. Lol
    david-mccampbell-3609423953.jpg

Lav-25, FearTheCorn, Sons Hero and 8 others Thank this.
  4. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    My wife is always saying its stupid to make a collage out of IFTA stickers from previous years. Plus it looks tacky.

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Badge of honor kinda thing I guess.

I’m not sure if it’s technically legal, I was always told the current year was the only one that should be displayed.

6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Only the current year is required.

I usually keep two showing. I got this truck new in Jan 22. It already had a 21 sticker on it. I put the 22 sticker next to it... no gap/space.. edge to edge. In 23, I put it on top of, and covered 21. In 24, I put the 24 sticker over the 22 sticker.

Typically, we only keep truck 3 years. So, I'll get a new 2025 truck next year I guess. Start over.

I have had a couple drivers tell me that its illegal to have two showing. ONLY the current sticker is to be displayed. Personally, that's not my understanding. AFAIK, there is no rule, but I cant swear to it. Never seen a rule so again AFAIK, there isn't a rule that says either way.

Bean Jr. and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Back in the day...the whole driver's door would have a variety of past/present fuel decals pre-IFTA.

I liked the Penske leases with a small metal square just for the decal, easy to maintain as I used to place the new stickers on the fleet scraping off the old ones.

gerardo1961 Thanks this.
  8. TMNTFan4Life

TMNTFan4Life Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Ok thanks everyone, that’s a relief. I’m a company driver so I don’t care about having a big show of it all, just want to be legal.

9. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Came here to say this. That’s what I was always told too. So when you go by the scale house window they don’t have to try to spot the current one from a mosaic of years past.

10. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    If im not mistaken, Only the current years sticker is supposed to be displayed. According to the NC IFTA.... Its just not enforced or officers aren't aware or dont care...

motocross25 Thanks this.
  11. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I remember putting one on in 2018 and 2019 but never after that. Went through many scales and not one question.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.