Why do they ask you if you smoke?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Brandonpdx, Feb 2, 2011.

1. TruckrsWife

TruckrsWife Significant Otter

Aug 29, 2008
    God's Country, CA

Then I do apologize if I assumed otherwise and thought you were taking the high moral anti-smoker ground. I agree that there are more unemployed and hence less public exposure in that regard. However, unless one is a true hermit, one still exposes themselves to germs any time in public where your hand meets something another hand has touched. One still has to go to the grocery store and fill their car with gas or pick up your mail and such things that have been touched by any other. Our money is extremely dirty and full of germs. Unless we discontinue breathing we breathe in germs where someone who's sick has been. It's impossible to escape this. So I will still fall back on the fact that we are better at preventive care than any time in the past.

Then I pity the poor family who's baby died from SIDS even though they followed all the precautionary measures. And yes, fear does compel us to do things that sometimes our common sense would tell us otherwise.

When my son was three weeks old he got a cold. Could I have prevented that? Maybe, maybe not. I hated to see the little shaver get sick, especially since newborns breathe through their nose, but the upside of this was he was already building up his immunities to viruses further down the road.

I never said you invented it, but you perpetuate it when you repeat what they say and try to pass it off as a fact.
    He's your son, so you are well within your right to do what you thought best, no argument there.

In a completely pristine environment (something hermetically sealed) that could be possible to make the air more pure, but not in a home where there are all kinds of things from dust (most of which is human dead skin by the way) to pollens blowing into your home from outside to mold not readily found to what your pet brings in which I won't even get into, that you would be circulating throughout your home, none of which you can prevent from being there.

Your "organic" blankets have fibers and those fibers cast off minute particles into the air. Look no further than the lint trap on your dryer to see how much organic material is cast off from fabric, and those same fibers are being inhaled by everyone in that household. One cannot, no matter how hard one tries, prevent this process from happening.

Why are you using chemicals to clean your carpet? Just kidding.....kind of.

We can agree on this.

This is where common sense should enter the arena. Common sense is one trait that is vastly underrated and would appear to be grossly underused.

You play the devil's advocate very well on this and many other threads pertaining to smokers. Now you've qualified your statement, no offense taken. Thanks.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hamshoe

Hamshoe Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Illinois

Fine whatever...you can't ride in my truck if your gonna smoke....:biggrin_25512:

4. Hamshoe

Jan 12, 2008
    Illinois
    Just kiddin' you can ride in my sled whenever you want....as long as you don't smoke in it....lol

5. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Well, I guess we won't ever have to worry about that. What company truck number was that?

6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    You are very welcome.

7. Hamshoe

Jan 12, 2008
    Illinois
    They just want to make sure you get a truck with ash trays.

8. Cudascious

Cudascious Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2011
    New Mexico
    I am betting if you smoke, youre more likely to get an older/stinkier truck.

9. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA

I go back to work tomorrow, so I will be too busy to do any more posting for the rest of the week....:smt064

You all have a good week, as I am fixin to.

10. James Johnson

James Johnson Light Load Member

May 27, 2017
    My friend smoke when he drives his truck. I don't know how long he have doing it. But he complain to me. He said, "how to get rid of smoke smell in my cab"?

11. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I smoked heavily for 35 years and quit 2 years ago while still in good health .
    Took the money I saved smoking and bought a nice new car that still smells new .
    My big truck at 130k still smells new inside and my house doesent stink .
    Ex smokers are the worst and can smell smoke of any kind a mile away
    Now .
    Drivers a my company request a non smoking truck .

Big Don and Pumpkin Oval Head Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.