Why do they ask you if you smoke?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Brandonpdx, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    A good old thread to revive. See if expectations have changed over the years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Yes they have don , greater Omaha has designated smoking and non smoking trucks .

Big Don Thanks this.
  4. JohnGER

JohnGER Light Load Member

May 5, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I know here at GO Express, it has to do with the resale too. When they get new trucks, they line up a buyer for 4 years down the road ahead of time. A few of them request things like "no smoking" or "no tobacco" or "no pets". I think it only applies to like 15 of the trucks here, but there is a reason they ask. They keep a list of the other non-smoking trucks too, just for people that don't like the smell.

They try real hard to keep Smokers in trucks that have been smoked in, newer or older, doesn't matter.

5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Smokers have a higher rate of accidents, that's a fact. Smoking is a distraction. Plus they leave the truck smelling like a greasy Ho's taint.

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I'm a non smoker of 2 years in June gotta say I hate the smell and stink of smoke now ...can smell smoke a mile away now .
    My greater O truck smelled new inside when I got it and needed very little touching up .
    My Morehouse truck had been smoked in heavily when I got it and it reeked .
    Its taken 5 weeks of scrubbing every inch of the interior , lots of febreeze , cut up apples to absorb the smell , drowning the hvac system in febreeze , drowning seats the seats in febreeze to the point they were dripping on the floor .
    Its finally to the point now that after it sits for the weekend closed up it smells new inside when get in it .
    Ex smokers are the worst lol

JohnGER, Jazz1 and Big Don Thank this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    That's one thing I have done my best to avoid. After 50+ years of smoking cigars I honestly don't have the nuts to bellyache too much about smoking. My wife, even with all her medical problems still smokes. Sure, I wish she would quit. But there's no way I will add to her stress level by nagging her about it. And she is as considerate as she can be. She doesn't smoke in the house. Or in the car.
    That's more than I can say for myself when I was smoking.

8. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I totally agree Don ! I was the smoker that was dedicated and I'd smoke till he'll froze over .
    I don't give anyone he'll about smoking either and they'll quit when they are ready ...I smoked for 35 years and have no room to talk .
    Just don't smoke in my truck , car or home .
    I grew up in a smoking home from a young age and just thought it was normal I guess .
    I hope I quit in time but it's been 2 years and strenuous activity like running puts me out of breath .

Jazz1 and Big Don Thank this.
  9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I quit after my first heart attack. Then went back to it for a while. But the major open heart surgery finally convinced me. Funny, but I don't miss it. Not at all.

bzinger and Jazz1 Thank this.
  10. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Son, if the truck smells like a greasy ho's taint, that isn't what a cigarette smells like...

...and how would you know? :biggrin_2554:

Big Don and A21CAV Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.