Why is it so hard to remove this auto transmission restriction?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Brown Moose, Feb 9, 2024.

1. Brown Moose

Brown Moose Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2023
    Alabama
    Good Morning!

I reside in Atlanta,GA. I been trying to remove this god dang automatic restriction for 3years now.Ever since i received my license from a mega.

I originally paid a local school here $1400 to teach me how to shift for a couple of days and they were supposed to test me. Long story short, the school called me and told me they were unable to test me because the new ELDT required me to attend a CDL school for an additional 10 days before the school was able to certify and test me. Which makes no sense since I been driving before the ELDT mandate came out.

I called the DMV and asked them what do I need to do to remove my auto restriction. They said to just bring a manual truck bobtail and I would just have to take a short road test and they would remove it.

I called every school out here about letting me rent their truck for the cdl test and they all said no they dont allow their trucks to be rented out unless I go through their course.

I called Ryder and Penske and they only rent out their trucks to companies only. I dont know anyone who has a manual truck that is willing to let me use their truck for the test. Theres another company I'm going to call about I feel like its going to be the same thing. At the same time, I would actually need someone to rent the truck for me because of my restriction.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Well, maybe if you went to whatever trucking company you wanted to hire on to, they'd let you and a trainer Bob tail to the DMV and take your test.
    Just an idea but it's worth thinking about

lane674, W923, tscottme and 11 others Thank this.
  4. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    one of the many reasons why i never say test on an automatic.

too many others have gone thru this BS....

can't say i feel sorry for any of them.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Did you get the money back?

If not, they scammed you out of $1400, they could have tested you.

7. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    yup, they could have taken the truck to the dmv to test him.

8. Speedy356

Speedy356 Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2021
    I’d be talking to a lawyer, sounds like they knew this before taking your money, ya got scammed out of the $$$

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yep there is nothing to do with his "training" he has a CDL already so he didn't have to go through "training" to enhance his skills. This would mean anyone going through a refresher will also have to abide by the regs.

10. broke down plumber

broke down plumber Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2024
    A good school will have certification for both , i looked b4 settling on a cdl apprenticeship .

11. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Georgia is allowing private schools to do testing now? When did that start?

And since when did they start allowing you to take the test with a bobtail? Are we talking about a class A CDL?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.