Why is it so hard to remove this auto transmission restriction?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Brown Moose, Feb 9, 2024.

1. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    Good luck finding company that doesn't have auto. Maybe post on Craigslist or Facebook and offer to pay someone to borrow.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snicrep

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    You're behind the times. Almost all milk haulers are using auto now. Still not as good as a stick, but I've got 240000 on my company truck ( peterbilt 579) and have had no transmission problems. But I wouldn't buy one.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2024
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Peterbilt with the 12 speed endurant.

5. snicrep

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    Until today.coming through i80 in California I got a "transmission problem seek service soon". I pulled over and turned the truck off and on. Like a printer, and went on my way.

6. NvySwmr626

NvySwmr626 Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2023
    The problem with the ELDT requirements is that states have various freedoms to interpret them as they see fit, which is wildly confusing. Fortunately, for me in California, holding an H, S, or P endorsement prior to Feb, 2022 made one exempt from ELDT requirements for any changes to a CDL. I just used a school to practice on their truck a couple Saturdays, and go take the road test again.

There are companies with their own schools who will help IF they want to hire you. We have mostly 10-speeds at Old Dominion, and we just hired and auto-restricted driver who got to drive around with a trainer for a couple weeks, and then went over to DMV and tested out.

7. HAM!

HAM! Bobtail Member

Feb 29, 2024
    Good advice!

8. HAM!

HAM! Bobtail Member

Feb 29, 2024

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.