Why was I not issued a 2 year DOT card but instead a 1 year card?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Aug 10, 2022.

1. longhairdontcare

longhairdontcare Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2016
    I was on blood pressure meds last year and I was issued a 1 year card. I understand that, but I got off the pills and started eating healthy and losing weight because I was tired of being issued a 1 year card. Went to the physical and passed with flying colors but the doctor said unfortunately since I was already on blood pressure meds previously the best I can do is a one-year card and we'll have to do this annually.

Is this correct? I really wanted a 2-year card and I thought if I got off the blood pressure meds and lower the blood pressure naturally which was showing 120/70 I would be giving a 2-year card. I'm just really disappointed right now

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eldiablo

Eldiablo Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    You got screwed. Next time go to a doctor that is smart and only put down if you are on meds not what you may have taken years before.

4. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Once off the meds, you are eligible for a 2-year card again. Some won't do it the first year out in order to prove you don't need them and didn't just say you don't while taking some leftovers that morning to pass the test.

Bean Jr., tscottme, Boondock and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Go to a different testing office and simply do not tell them, just tell them Im here for a DOT physical.

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I thought one of the questions was if you’ve ever had a card for less than 2 years? And now with the database simply not telling them isn’t as easy as it used to be.

Bean Jr., Roger McG, tscottme and 4 others Thank this.
  7. longhairdontcare

longhairdontcare Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2016
    That question was on the form while I was filling it out.

Hmm.....

Rideandrepair and Boondock Thank this.
  8. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    One of my old bosses told me Concentra has a history of issuing one year cards.
    So they found a different place to go.

SmallPackage and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Just be thankful you didn’t get sucked into the cpap sleep study scam most of the m.e.’s got going on.

10. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    This is a great example of talking before thinking. Half the world is a pos, speak accordingly.

Geekonthestreet and tscottme Thank this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The DOT doctor is not your partner in health. He is the man that can take away your job. If you have health concerns talk to your personal doctor. Lots of men avoid doctors like The Plague but if they have to see a doc they use him for both the main reason AND a temporary personal doctor. The DOT doctor, for the time being, only knows what you put on the form. Maybe this doctor will give you a 2 year card after this 1 year card expires and maybe he won't. Another doctor that only measured your BP in the office and knew nothing about the past would have given you a 2 year card. When you get a professional license, job #1 is protecting that license.

Powder Joints and Geekonthestreet Thank this.
  12. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    When your one year expires. Go to another clinic as that one may keep your history on computer. I'm assuming they do.

DON'T disclose any info that will incriminate you to less then 2 years.

I don't disclose. I get 2 years.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.