Will self-driving trucks be an issue for truckers

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Steven42000, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    You have touched on one of the big problems that companies who operate automated trucks will have to deal with.

When a driver driving one of your trucks screws up, it's normally the driver's fault, except in a few scenarios.

When your automated truck screws up, it's all yours. There is no driver between you and responsibility for what the truck did. A company might manage to push the responsibility to the manufacturer or the coders who wrote the driving software, but if they are based in another country, the lawyers might only have one target. The truck owner.

The first few self-driving trucks to plow into a bunch of people are going to lead to lawsuits that will scare any sane company away from large scale use of self-driving trucks.

Driver Eight Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    see that’s the thing I’m concerned about. If that’s the case companies getting sued and such why are investors investing in technology they know it can’t be used? Maybe they know something we don’t?

I don’t know man all I’m saying is these companies have access to politicians who could in some way write a law forbidding companies from being sued.

I’m thinking California being the first one to do it so it can get electric trucks on the road ASAP making it a safe heaven for self driving electric truck companies in the state with others following.

4. Driver Eight

Driver Eight Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2012
    There will likely be lots of consternation about any rare problems that come up. At the same time, the humans causing highway carnage on a scale 10 times worse and more often. Eventually, people will get used to it all and focus on the safety numbers, unclog the highways and carpool in Johnny Cabs to work.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    If I am not mistaken, there are still companies on the stock market who sell tobacco products. If people will invest in companies that sell assisted suicide products, with a history of enormous class action lawsuits, they will invest in almost anything.

6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

Wasn’t there a judgment that said after they pay out certain amount they can’t get sued again for the same thing?

in other words people see the risk and reward, at the same time the technology can be adapted for other things as well, so the investors will make money no matter what.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Because getting into a large airport requires a certain degree of finesse.

8. Epicdudejo

Epicdudejo Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2019
    personally, I'd like to see how well computers can deal with the ####ty "roads" that deep forest logging trucks need to plow through.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.