Window tint law possible change

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 86scotty, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Fmcsa has not changes the rule, I think a couple states have this past year.

No matter, if you are based in say ... Michigan and go to say ... New York and New York has a no tint on CMV law, too bad if the cop issues you a ticket because the ticket can't be issued - the fmcsa reg superceeds the New York law.

PE_T and shatteredsquare Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Got a video ?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    He didn't, and I didn't think to ask. I wish I had asked just to verify what I already know. My windows are 20%, perfectly legal on everything else in my home state of Tennessee.

I do have a 5% limo strip across the windshield and he specifically said there is no problem with having that there, it's the side windows they're getting picky about.

I would never go darker than what's legal in my state and that's been 20% for as long as I can remember.

Here's a good link on understanding window tint percentages:

Team Acme

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte

6. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    What about these guy that drive with window blinds ?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    I’ve had my windows tinted for 3 years and multiple inspections nobody ever said anything them. Then 2 weeks ago coming down 35 in Iowa got pulled in for a level 3 and the officer came out to my truck and immediately took out the tint meter. Gave me a verbal warning and advised to remove it as soon as I made it back home. So I did.

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    What's legal in one state isn't in the next. Doesn't matter if there is federal reg in your favor. Cops write wrongheaded tickets all the time. Then you have to deal with the mess and prove your innocence. Backwards and F'd up but that's the way of the world. Tint draws scrutiny and who needs the headache?

snowwy Thanks this.
  9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Why does that not surprise me ?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Did he tell you what percentage you had on? Once I put mine on, I would make sure to have several reputable sources ready in a packet to hand over to the officer. No need to argue with the officer, and can be counter-productive as the officer may get defensive and proceed citing you even if your case is legit. I’ll let the paperwork do the talking.

I have an APU, and almost all states allow at least 400 pounds over gross. I have never in my close to 6 years of trucking been questioned about using the APU Vehicle Weight Exemption. In my permit folder, I have three sources ready in case the officer is not familiarized (documents below). One of the sources I use was also used by a big fleet of 2,500 drivers I used to work for.

Attached Files:

Gotstuckwithatruck and BoostedTeg Thank this.
  11. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    No the officer didn’t tell me what the percentage was. But when I had it tinted it was done to 30%

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.