Winter driving and chaining

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by nw88, Aug 8, 2016.

1. nw88

nw88 Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2012
    ID
    Yes I know its August but winter will soon be upon us. I'm new to this career and just looking for any winter tips or advice. I graduated CDL school recently and the instructors there said if you have to chain up, its not safe to drive. Sounds good but maybe not practical. How exactly do you know when to chain up? Yes if a blizzard is on then obviously, but what about the grey areas. And if your on a straight, flat piece of highway but its snowing with ice on the road what speed are you comfortable at?

Thanks for any info. And if I am skewered for being a know nothing newbie that's okay too.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Being that your from Idaho, you most probably already know when to drive and when not to. Trucks do not handle well in snow and not at all in ice. You have to carry chains in some areas but you are not required to use them. Since you are most likely being paid by the mile, park your truck until you can run faster. If you have to chain ask for a bonus to do so. I believe the maximum speed recommended is 30 miles per hour. So you are only being paid $12.00 at 40 cpm. It ain't worth it.

nw88 Thanks this.
  4. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    RedRover and nw88 Thank this.
  5. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Basically, if you have to chain up, you pushed it too far. No load is worth it. I can drive in bad conditions, but why would I? Why would you...keep that in mind and you will be fine.

thejackal and nw88 Thank this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    nw88 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. Hamburger71

Hamburger71 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2014
    North Carolina
    To know when to chain is actually easy. If there is an area where you are required by law, signs will be everywhere to let you know and places provided to chain and unchain. It's usually going over a mountain. Or, if you are in dicey conditions and looking to stop somewhere, pull over and chain until you get to a place to stop. Snow usually isn't an issue with trucks. Just slow down. Ice, on the other hand, is very dangerous. Chaining itself just takes some time. Also, know what each state requires. Some require more chains than others. Once chained, drive slow and keep an eye on them as they can come off. I suggest those spider bungees. They stay in place pretty well. At the end of the day, if the pucker factor is at 100%, you should probably pull in somewhere, but know you may be there awhile.

nw88 Thanks this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Keep in mind, I am not saying that you should drive on icy roads, I am saying that you should know how.

RedRover, TequilaSunrise, nw88 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    There is 2 occasions to chain.... 1) When it is mandatory 2) To get to a safe haven. (Furthest I have run with Chains on was 134 Miles @ 25-30mph= long unproductive day)

nw88 Thanks this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Absolutely correct. IMHO it's a bad idea to just tell newbies to park it if conditions get bad. Saying it is one thing. Being able to GET to a safe parking place is a whole 'nuther matter.

Unless you plan to park if there MIGHT be snow or ice ahead, then you are assured to get into some slippery situations. Weather and road conditions change quickly.

Therefore LEARN how to drive in slippery conditions. That means PRACTICE. Find a vacant parking lot and get the feel of it. Learn how the interaxle differential lock works. See how little throttle can cause a spin out. Find out how much sliding you get with the brakes. Basic stuff that any kid in snow country learns in dad's car on the first snowfall.

otherhalftw, nw88 and TripleSix Thank this.
  11. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Chances are real good the first company you hire on with isnt gonna be throwing any chains. I didnt on my first gig.
    You will have to have them on the truck to go thru certain areas of the country though.

My company tried their darndest to get us to buy em outright, we both said un uh. You want chains on YOUR truck YOU are gonna buy em. and they did , twice lol -

nw88 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.