Wish I knew this before I did Linehaul, governed at 62 mph.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by jameswood, Dec 22, 2022.

1. jameswood

jameswood Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2022
    Wish I knew to look for a company that have fast trucks. I’ve been with this company for 6 months, and all their trucks are governed at 62 mph.

I’m also looking for a new job, wondering if anyone has any tips/advice, greatly appreciate it, thank you.

I’m not asking much, but I have 10 years experience, hazmat and tanker, located in Midwest, day shift highly desired, I’m struggling staying awake doing night time line haul.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I did nighttime linehaul for nearly 14 years, the key is to get a ‘good days sleep’. That is the biggest challenge. If you are committed to stay in the LTL gig, try to transfer to P&D shift at your company.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    You have the wrong attitude for a linehaul. Linehaul is one step up from a factory job. You do the same thing, over and over, hours are pretty cut and dry, and equipment is usually top notch. Many find that rewarding, like a factory job, they have a life outside of the truck. 62 is fine, in fact, what's the rush, slow it down, you're being paid by the hour. Special perks go along with that job, you aren't some random O/O they will never see again, you are part of the "team", and today, a good place to be. P&D( pickup and delivery) is okay, but many P&D drivers grab the linehaul as soon as it opens. P&D takes a special attitude as well, I liked them both. If you want a fast truck, be some beer hauler, or flatbed, they have fast trucks, they have to, they have a long ways to go and uncertainy once they get there, but linehaul? No hurry,,,it's a better life, trust me.

tigair, ctekrat, bryan21384 and 10 others Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  6. jameswood

jameswood Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2022
    These hours are just not working out for me. Lack of sleep, noisy neighbors getting up while I just got home and trying to sleep, I gained 15 lbs already, difficult to workout, etc.

7. jameswood

jameswood Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2022
    Thank you. But, unfortunately, my company pays per mile. So only so much you can do as a driver when your truck is governed at 62, always feel like rushing to get back, trying to drive as many miles as possible, etc. Unfortunately, the day shift P&D drivers at my facility are getting paid less than us line haul drivers. Unfortunately, the only option I see is going with a different company.

8. jameswood

jameswood Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2022
  9. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    The vast majority of the industry, including linehauls, is 62-68mph. The difference between them is negligible.

I run the same routes, everyday, at 67mph. When I come up behind a 64-65mph truck, I drop the cruise a couple and hang out. Whatever hundreds of feet I might gain over the next hours is negligible, in the big picture. All it takes is one snag along the way and that advantage is negated, anyway. Plus, all those fast trucks trying to jam along I-70 are being held up, the whole way. It isn’t worth it. A slow truck provides a worry-free experience, because you’re not part of that left-lane jam fest. Hang out in the right lane and relax. It’s not so bad, if you’re not enviously looking to your left.

tigair, ctekrat, Mike2633 and 6 others Thank this.
  10. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    where i live, delivering to target stores or delivering from amazon warehouses. this offers shorter work weeks more work-life balance. like 3 or 4 day work weeks or more or less, and shorter days. combined with lower pay rate though.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    snowlauncher and ducnut Thank this.
  11. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    It's the same thing I hated about linehaul. Then tack on pets or kids that don't understand you have to sleep when they want to see you. You then also have to decide if you want to invert your sleep schedule on your days off or if you just don't want to have a personal life.

I guess it all depends how bad you need a job. But you wouldn't be the first one to quit over a week/life/sleep balance.

Mike2633 and Coffey Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.