With new reefers hitting $110,000 why don't we start refurbishing old trailers?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by scoobertdoo, Jul 10, 2021.

1. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    Not reefers but I don't get why anyone would buy a used up trailer from Swift or any of the megas. You know those are wore the #### out

Speed_Drums and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    Lack of options in current market. I dont see normality coming for a few years, if at all, then w e could all be in serious trouble.

Jarhed1964, Team818, bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    There are a number of shippers who won't load a reefer older than 10 years. At least that what I've seen on some ratecons.

So many things can go wrong with an old trailer, especially a reefer. The metal fatigue alone seems to make it all cost prohibitive. If you're talking about replacing all of the insulation, floor cross members, bolstering parts of the floor, you're talking big bucks and a lot of time.

There are certain types of vehicles worth rebuilding. On the west coast I frequently see Mexicans driving old Toyota pickup trucks south on the I-5 in caravans of several trucks with another one in tow behind each truck. They love those things down there, They buy them in any condition from the US and Canada, and take them all south of the border, rebuild them and probably sell them to the cartels. Whenever you see footage of a cartel shootout in Mexico, there is usually at least one old Toyota pickups around. They run forever.

5. Team818

Team818 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2019
    I think you should go for it myself. If you like to do those repairs, handyman, builder? Why not? I wish I could help you out. If you turn a couple of older reefer units around and sell them for a profit, I say GO FOR IT? Especially NOW with the demoncrats in office messing our country up. In a few years you could have your own shop.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  6. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    My first driving job HO Wolding , Herbie used to have his Amish mechanics insulate a dry van and hang a reefer unit off the front , he'd buy wrecked trailers and use the parts.
    Alls we hauled in them was frozen taters out of Ore Ida Plover Wi , nothing to exotic.
    RIP HERBIE!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  7. trailerguymatt

trailerguymatt Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2021
    The market on Reefers is getting ready to do what the dry van market has done. Get you a good reefer now while you can

Team818 Thanks this.
  8. Team818

Team818 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2019
    Get everything while you can. If they shutdown the USA again for another flu, then its not going to matter if you have a trailer, truck, or anything really. This country will have be taught a POWERFUL lesson if that happens again. Major Major Purge is coming. What did you think of the ladies soccer team in the olympics.... EVERYONE OF THEM...100% took a knee for the US Flag......... 100%

The Ladies, can you imagine. !!

IF that doesn't say where we are going... NOTHING WILL.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Reason for edit: Wanted to add to the content.
    lilillill and reeferwrencher Thank this.
  9. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    You are on the wrong reefer forum. This one doesn't have the 420

buzzarddriver Thanks this.
  10. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    It's replies that this that make me hopeful the country DOESN'T turn around--that it burns to the ground and that the suffering of the useful idiots is horrendous.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.