Worst company you ever worked for?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Upinsmoke, Jul 16, 2020.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

I quit McDonalds in highschool to clean at a slaughterhouse at nights. It was a step up. I understand.

vanishing point, jeff18, andre and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Nope The FMCSA doesn't see it like that. From the FMCSA website:

Question 5: Do telephone calls to or from the motor carrier that momentarily interrupt a driver’s rest period constitute a change of the driver’s duty status?

Guidance: Telephone calls of this type do not prevent the driver from obtaining adequate rest. Therefore, the FHWA does not consider these brief telephone calls to be a break in the driver’s off duty status.

Regulations Section

Nostalgic, jon69, Lostmykey and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    But then they say things like, Even though you’re off duty technically, if you’re sitting in the driver seat you must be logged in as on duty. The passenger seats OK though. And it’s technically illegal to just log off duty if you’re in the sleeper berth. But oh wait, it’s not illegal if you get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom to just keep yourself in the sleeper berth even though you’re not in the sleeper berth while you get up to go to the bathroom.

the guidelines you suggest have to do with how it pertains to logging. Which you’ve corrected me on in my original post had a bit of sarcasm to it. But labor laws are extremely tight when it comes to your employer contacting you when you’re not getting paid and off the clock. Example if you work for a big corporation they will literally train their managers even if you’ve just walked out the door and clocked out they cannot text message you or call you because they can actually get sued and or fined for it.

jeff18, Lostmykey and Bigbluecrew Thank this.
  5. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Bestline , Hudson Wi , now defunked.

6. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    I worked at McDonald's in highschool too and I quit the day they promoted me to manager. It was around 1989, I was 17, I was making about 5.95 an hour after 2+ years of demanding raises because I literally did most of the work by myself.

I thought that I'd get an actual pay raise by being a manager but I was informed that I'd be starting at about 6.10 or 6.25 or something like that so I quit since I already had a job offer for 8 bucks an hour cleaning office furniture that was being resold. Cake job in comparison.

7. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    I find that interesting, as most of the senior staff at Van Wyk, Inc, all worked together at Direct Transit. I’m talking the VP of ops, Safety, recruiting, Director of maintenance.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  8. jeff18

jeff18 Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2014
    pittsburgh, pa
    I totally agree. I don't want to talk. I know what needs done.

9. Kirbs

Kirbs Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2019
    I'm still at my first trucking company so no comparison yet. If I quit it'll be because of the pay. My worst non-trucking was working at the airport fueling planes. Delta contracted this ####ty cheap company to handle the fueling so that they didn't have to waste money training their employees to do it. Required 1 week of training on a computer then 2 weeks with a trainer all for $9/hr. This was in 2015. $0.10 cent raises..yet delta employees who put bags on the plane were being paid $15/hr. I had to get a security clearance and deal with hazardous jet fuel for $9/hr. low pay was the least of my worries though.

The ####ty equipment was the biggest problem. 50% of the time they just plain didn't work. Had to call a mechanic every single day because fuel cart wasn't working. Mechanic took 15mins to show up, if they showed up at all. The 'supervisors' were always gone goofing off somewhere and didn't do a #### thing. Carts were poorly designed. Their were printers attached to the carts that had to have paper in them for the cart to even start. If it rained, the paper would get jammed. In most cases the printers simply didn't work, so people stole printers from other carts. Most gates didn't even have carts. Sometimes we only had 2 fuel carts on 1 side of a terminal, so we had to take turns fueling the planes which often resulted in delays. Best part? The printers were completely useless because we didn't use tickets anymore, but the stupid design forced us to use it.

It didn't help that the carts moved at 1mph, so it would take 5minutes just to move the cart to the next gate. Dispatch was also dirty. They'd send you a flight, and after you setup(get the cart positioned & hoses connected), they'd remove that flight and give you something else. This happened 3 times in a row once. Setting up the cart was no joke. Dragging an 80lb hose around in 100F temps definitely was some work. They had wheels on the hoses, but most of the wheels were busted. The hoses used to connect to the wing of the planes often had missing handles, so you had to put it in between your legs and sorta jam it in there.

Most people quit after the 1st week. I probably saw 40 people come and go within the small time span I was there. An entire class of new hires(10 people) would all be gone by the 1st month.

I started looking for another job the 2nd week I was there. Unfortunately I had to endure 6 months of that hell before I landed something else. I was dreaming that I wish I could be working at fast food again it was so bad. Thankfully that company lost their contact a year after I left.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  10. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Davis Express out of Starke, FL was the worst crap hole. Roehl Transport was a close second

11. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    I worked there for 6mos around 05 out of Brooks. They started using O/O to train about 3 mo after I started.
    Drove an old Volvo 770 & pulled 20yr old rusted out trls (Dry side) Mostly shorthaul frt with 4hr load unload before detention so cust unloaded us last. Pee test & log check everytime in Brooks. 4 randoms in 6mo
    20 loads for under 10k miles. Lock door to dp with intercom Gave them 6mos no improving till I turned in keys. Then they wanted to work it out. Place was a joke for me.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.