Written up for being in the shower while logged as sleeper berth.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RuralTrucker, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Which is why you do it exactly as I wrote. You're legal for the shower and then start your sleeper portion of the split.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Well then you'd be sitting there longer opt not to or neglect to edit it. I get it's technically a false log, but I think I agree with the others as far as pettiness.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It’s nothing to worry about. The Company’s only covering their ### in case of an audit. Something in the record file showing that they’re self governing their drivers. I wouldn’t take it personally. Just part of working for a Mega.

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    It's called log falsification. It is usually no big deal until there is a fatality crash, then the driver and the driver's company will be liable deep in the millions of $$. So motor carriers don't play around with log falsification like they used to do back in the paper loggin' days.

nredfor88 and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  6. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Same problem, what if someone hits your truck again while you are in the sleeper but you are logged off duty? Log falsification all over again. Log it like you do it, do it like you log it.

nredfor88 and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  7. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    If I had to guess, they probably dinged you for it because the violation occurred during an accident, which increases the chance that a third party might find out about it. I'm sure they don't go out of their way to look for every little issue, but if they get caught ignoring one, that will create problems for them.

Just out of curiosity, did they figure out on their own that you weren't in the truck at the time or did you tell them?

8. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    He said he walked up in front of the truck in full view of the company camera...

9. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    It’s a game they play so they can keep your bonuses. When I went to work for my new company having come from one that like to play that game I told him upfront I don’t play the safety game, take away your bonus crap. If I do something wrong I’ll own it. I don’t do technicalities. No way I would put up with that crap and I’d be gone on the spot.

xlsdraw, Grouch and scottied67 Thank this.
  10. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Also there is a paper trail. that the company will get a copy of.

As for off duty in the sleeper birth
    no matter how you do it it will be illegal in some matter.
    There is no way to legally leave the sleeper birth unless you spend at least 7/8 hours straight there.
    It's a catch 22,

11. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    That's only if you are split breaking your 10 hour break. Otherwise it has always been perfectly legal to log 5 minutes sleeper 5 minutes off duty 5 minutes sleeper back and forth for 10 hours straight on a conventional 10 hour break.

Wasted Thyme and MadScientist Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.