Wyoming Slip and Slide - Lessons

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lepton1, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Why can't they park at the "no facilities" places?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I guess I should have been more specific...let me rephrase...."they're parked someplace out of the way of human drivers, so they do not impede the humans from their travels, until the weather clears". Did I word that more to your liking?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    at least they are all safe and legal on elogs lol

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    How do the driverless trucks know when it is too bad out there to keep going? I noticed that they are testing these trucks in places like Arizona and Florida. I want to see them test them in Wyoming.

6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Personally...I don’t think you stand a chance. He ain’t gonna quit.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I may be the odd man out, I see the snow piling up on the wind side.

It is not a good wind bringing in snow left to right in this case. Moving it across the ground. I have spent a life time assessing the spots of the Freeway in relation to the immediate terrain trying to find the danger points here there and everywhere.

These people just plow into it and do not show the necessary behavior of one evaluating the 100 yards of pavement as I would be.

I am not trying to be crapping marbles and drinking gold as if I am better than thou but sometimes in a storm like that if you don;t watch it....

Dave_in_AZ and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I think your're right...what was I thinking

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Thing is, the driverless trucks, all 3 or 4 of them, aren't really driverless. There's still some dude in there. Whom I believe is far more inattentive to what is happening because he's not actively engaged in the driving process.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Snow, ice and spray dirt kills the sensors on the robot trucks, then proceeds to plow 50 vehicles killing a dozen at a time per impact. Maybe one of them is a propane tanker. JACKPOT. //sarcasm.

Or some prankster or actual eco terrorist sprays metal flake matte black or something over everything important to the robot. Boom dead unable to go anywhere. In the fuel line.

//snarky.

The more they reinvent the wheel the worst humans get.

11. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Poor ol Werner was on the verge of snapping the steering wheel off in his hands !
    For all the young guys.. Wyoming is actually the ONE state that posts accurate warnings of diving conditions.
    Most states tend to inflate what conditions actually are to cover their rear.
    If Wyo says "strong winds gusting 60-70, with blowing snow and slick spots"

Take it to the bank.

I see drivers blowing past those signs all the time in their CRE, Prime, CRST, etc.. bc it's not bad at Cheyenne or Laramie, so they book on.
    Next thing you know they're rocking like grannys front porch seat and going 10mph and in serious trouble.
    You have to slow down, but going that slow bc they didn't heed a warning puts others at risk of running up on them and causing a backup. Then slow trucks are jumping left.. brakes are jamming.. sliding starts.. it snowballs.

It's only gonna get worse.

LoneCowboy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.