Yellow Freight closure thread

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by ColoradoLinehaul, Jun 26, 2023.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    He's talking about taking a 1099 "company driver" job. Not leasing his equipment on. I did the 1099 company driver thing for about 9 months after my own truck went down last summer. It was a stop gap measure that helped to keep me from having the appearance of job hopping on my resume.

It was a legitimate 1099 company driver position. The vast majority of 1099 company driver jobs are not. I was not told what to haul , where to fuel, or when to work. I did not pay for any truck expenses, not fuel, not tolls, not scale tickets or breakdowns, none of them. I was told to run the truck as if it were my own and book whatever I wanted, and that's what I did. I appreciated that I had the chance to do it so I could take the time to consider my next trucking move.

That said, rates on loadboards are ridiculously low. I had trouble keeping the truck making money plus bringing home my own paycheck. I wasn't running the truck into the ground on nothing rates but decent rates stringing a week together were a challenge. Never mind putting anything back for taxes which I'll thankfully be able to deal with that in a few months. There's no expenses to write off. 1099 company driver position sucks. Don't do it. Even in the best of rates it's no good and not a long term solution.

Siinman and gentleroger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    We've had a few guys have to go to the warehouse for a year till they get there license back. I'm not gonna lie I got one when I was 17 and my parents paid 5k to make it go "away". While my prees where getting graduation gifts I was getting a dui expunged off my record.

4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    There is a night and day difference between what y’all are talking about and what is being proposed.

If he wants to go down the route of truck ownership - may the road rise up to meet him. If he wants to be an employee, going down the 1099 road is a losing proposition.

Opus, Jenkins2020, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  5. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    relationship with the tm on good footing? trust the guy? solid company?

go with what you know....

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  6. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I am in really good standing with my TM. He actually reached out to me for a potential position. He didn't mismanage our company into the ground. That honor was reserved for Yellow.

As for the 1099 gig with Coolio, it's not something I projected to be doing. It was not even on a list of things I would have ever considered. Unfortunately your guy's wisdom and knowledge is outpacing my career options at this point. I have to accept the job if I qualify for it.

I jumped on the bathroom scale this morning. I lost 44 lbs in about 6 weeks. I am not a dietician, but that is probably not a healthy rate of weight loss. It's not that we are broke ...yet. But I've been forfeiting meals on a regular basis. Any meal I consume is one that could go to my wife or kids. I feel guilty for eating. It's a depressing state of affairs I've found myself in. A situation that is probably replicated 32,000 times across the rest of the country.

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Dude, I don't mean to sound hateful, but you really need to get a grip.
    You're not the first or last to loose his job because of poor management; you're just the latest.
    Grow up, man up and go find a job. Quit whining about Yellow.......we already know.
    And good luck.

8. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    It's not just a job loss. A lot of my social infrastructure and identity was tied into this company for over a decade. Some days I spent more time there than I did at home.

You are not wrong though. I need to pull myself together.

9. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Focus on what's important (family), put your head down and move on.
    None of your 'buddies' are going to pay your bills............and you ain't gonna pay theirs.
    Move on.

10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Yellow Corp. reported Wednesday a net loss of $14.7 million for the second quarter, but that included $75.9 million in gains from the sale of properties. The update followed the company’s bankruptcy petition in a federal court on Sunday.

Which means, had it not been for the real estate sale, the loss would have been $100 million. Just wow.

Defunct Yellow reports Q2 loss (yahoo.com)

11. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    That's obviously the bottom line. I am still mentally recovering from this.

dwells40 and bzinger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.