You Can Be an Airline Pilot.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Chinatown, Oct 30, 2018.

1. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Goes back to my ScumBag Lawyers comment on a another thread.

Insure the house not the plane. I am a single kidless guy. If I crash the plane , I am going to Crash it Hard.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ImTakinHalf

ImTakinHalf Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Yep - I looked into this myself, even talked to some pilots as I currently bartend at an airport and they told the same story. Starting out sucks and costs lots of dough to train - and EVERYTHING in that industry is based on seniority... So don't expect it to get much better for a WHILE.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  4. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I've heard similar things about those wanted to pilot helicopters.

5. ImTakinHalf

ImTakinHalf Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2018
    But since we're posting plane pics, here's me sitting in an early 1940's Myers OTW. The pilot (long time family friend) is sitting behind me. Not a fast plane by any means, but very nimble and fun to ride around in. 20151024_142412.jpg 20151024_143352.jpg IMG_1638.jpg

not4hire Thanks this.
  6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yeah that's all we need huh a few ex truckers flying around in aircraft. Yes it does look very much like the airline industry is facing the same problem as the trucking industry all these older truck drivers and airline pilots have got to retire soon so who's there to replace them?

7. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You will need Airline Transport Pilot required experience to even break into a job that doesn't have garbage equipment and slave wages. Getting to this point is no small feat, and requires several years and 60K+. Once you are there, unless you managed to land a gravy corporate job, you are paid based on seniority. Your airline goes tits up? Guess what, your next job is at the starting salary F.O. pay, the best of which is about 34k. So you could be a captain making 100K+ and then have to take a job for 30K. This is why they call it the golden handcuffs. Even if you hate your job at the "Swift" of airlines, once you make captain you are not likely to ever leave because you don't want to cut your pay. Time off can be very good if you are with a good company and a good line schedule. It could also be as low as 12 days off and what are you going to do with your time off in lets say, Washington D.C. when you make 32k a year and pay $1400 a month in rent. As far as stress goes, flying a jet (If you make it that far) is usually less less stress than driving a truck. The down side is that it isn't likely you will fly with the same crew very often and you may end up on trips with many people that you don't like much. To top it off, your duty day can be 16hrs so if there is a weather delay you'll be sitting in that plane until your time expires and they cancel the flight. There are more pros and cons but since this is a trucking forum I'll stop here. Send me a private message if you are thinking of throwing down the money to start down this path and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  8. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Didn't much care for commercial airline flying unless Iternational before I read this thread.

Now I really really don't care to crash,I mean fly with them.

Kinda Scary

I would never consider working flying commercial airlines, Glorified bus driver.

I'll Stick with my Cozy little clean Sleeper watching Tv while cookin up some good meals making 60 grand after a 10 hour day

9. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Is this a field really for people who decide to leave the Airforce? I mean that's a totally different kind of flying, but from their career maybe they've already qualified for the required flight time which is now one of the biggest hurdles for beginners to get past?

10. TankerYankr

TankerYankr Medium Load Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Central US
    Airforce pilots are in demand at the airlines, but only the ones that fly the big heavy transports, and have thousands and thousands of hours.

The airlines really don't have much use for fighter jocks, as their mindset is too aggressive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.