You can't make this stuff up.....

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by bad-luck, Dec 3, 2021.

1. King Michael

King Michael Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2018
    I agree. Not worth it.
    To all the d!psh!ts who wanna put chains on yo make it on time or to get that next load in... You may be the best driver on the planet.. Until someone else comes along and slams into you.
    If you have to put chains on... You shouldn't be out driving that day / area.
    If you need to find out how to put chains on, just for the "knowledge ", then find a big dirt lot somewhere and practice on.
    I do know how to chain up without them falling off, but there is absolutely no reason to hafta run with chains.
    To win in this game, the key is to work smarter not harder.

drvrtech77 and Wespipes Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. prostartom

prostartom Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2014
    I used to deliver residential heating oil in the winter, one day during a light snow storm I pulled into a housing development and started eyeballing my customers drive to see if it had been cleared. Before I realized it my right steer tire dropped into a deep culvert, luckily the axle didn't bottom out.

I could move freely forward but could not back up, the culvert was heading downhill, terminated in the woods and no matter what I did I could not get the steer tire to climb back out.

I messed with it for about half an hour and kept getting closer to the woods. I tried building a ramp with a block of wood and that didn't work. Finally I chained up that steer tire and it popped right out.

Lesson learned, stay out of culverts!

xsetra and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    This is simply not true. My buddy 2 weeks ago, chained up 6 times a day for a week straight, all off road, on a haul road... I have chained up 3 times in 1 day last year on the interstate, and it is an everyday thing most of the time.....

Some of us chose to make our living in the cold snowy mountains and chaining is what comes with the territory in the winter months. If the local guys out here in the northwest shutdown just because a little snow , it would be every man for himself. garbage trucks/mixers/dumps and local food service guys. Everyone chains out here when its needed to get the job done.

5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    The one advantage to chaining up and running...it's safer because all of the fools who don't know how to drive are parked waiting it out and getting some good sleep. I've seen more bad wrecks in a rainstorm, or in a windstorm, or on a bright sunny day without a cloud in the sky than I have chained up...but let a little snow fly, and the fair weather driver uses every excuse they can to not do their job. Been doing this almost 30 yrs in every kind of weather, and I have never been hit by someone during chain up conditions...but I have been hit more than once during regular weather conditions... personally, I'd rather be out there during the bad weather.

6. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Wow, lmfao. But I guess we aren't born knowing everything. I jump started a buddy's car once. After it was running, I took the cables off. He didn't understand how his battery could be charged that fast. I explained that it wasn't, but his alternator would take over and charge them. He said: "But I don't want to use up my alternator!"

InTooDeep, JoeyJunk, Oxbow and 5 others Thank this.
  7. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    For what ever reason the second picture wouldn't attach. It shows the other side where he is stuck, and he doesn't have any chains on the drives

86scotty and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  8. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    One of the reasons I like driving for Swift. Their policy is only time a driver should have to chain is to make it to a safe place to park and wait out conditions. And, they would prefer you kept track of conditions well enough so that you're stopped someplace safe before needing to chain.
    Been driving alittle over 2 years. I haven't had to chain yet and hope I never do. But, I do carry chains since you're required.
    My trainer was an owner op guy and he didn't even have chains. He simply wouldn't go anywhere they were needed.

9. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Even in the one picture, I didn't see any chains on the drives. I figured he was in the middle of chaining up, and someone snapped a quick pic for some sweet fake internet points on Facebook. But as REO pointed out, I guess he was on the naive side. Kind of feel sorry for the guy. Thought he was doing the right thing. His head was messed up, but his heart was in the right place.

bad-luck and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Okay, we all feel a little sorry for him. We've all been stuck. to one degree or another. It happens.

But answer me this...how in the hell does anyone who's savvy enough to get a CDL not know that big trucks are not front wheel drive?
    Kinda adds a new definition to the term "steering wheel holder".

InTooDeep, Rugerfan, bad-luck and 2 others Thank this.
  11. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Oh, I don't disagree. But there's two things going on here:

1. As a gearhead, I've seen some really dumb ####, and I actually EXPECT the layman to not know which axle drives the truck.
    2. I'm right now in an oddly softhearted mood. (this is mostly the reason)

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.