You run out of hours, not allowed to park on property for your 10

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 1278PA, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Owner operators who own and only ever pull their own trailer could never use PC either if an empty trailer is considered "laden". They certainly aren't going to leave $60k worth of custom painted trailer just anywhere so they can use PC. "Laden" means loaded, an empty trailer is not loaded. If I unload at a receiver and am not dispatched or moving to where i think I will be dispatched to next then it's PC with or without an empty trailer to parking or restaurant or strip club.

I think that DOT he spoke to either didn't understand the question or just wanted to be an ### by giving out wrong info.

Bean Jr. and BigBob410 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Our company just went thru an audit. We PC with the whole unit and not a word was said.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. Cptn_Deudermont

Cptn_Deudermont Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2017
    With respect, unless you have an audio recording of a person doing just that, it is difficult to prove. I have been terminated from companies for refusing to drive over hours. Without evidence though - "Why was he terminated?" - "Insubordination" or "refusing dispatch"

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That is one of the reasons I loved flat so much. On, off no fuss. Pull into williamsburg VA Busch plant and the three coils are off in a hour as soon the ravens is broken down enough to get to them with the forklift. 1,2,3 Done.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    If you are " laden" or loaded then you just go and notate on your log that the shipper ran you out of hours and forced you to leave. If you are " unladen" or empty then you go to off duty driving or "personal conveyance" and go to the nearest parking area or "safehaven"

7. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    PC has to start and end at the same place. That would work if you went off duty after the unload, drove to the truck stop for a 10, and then returned to the receiver to start your next work shift.

8. BigBob410

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    If you read the guidance you don't have to return to the starting point. If you PC to your house and then get dispatched you just go on duty and roll.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  9. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Yes, to your house from your terminal, provided the distance is reasonable, is how I understand it. This is looking for a place to park for a 10.

Heading back to a terminal empty would NOT be legal PC as the language I have read in the regs talks only about going to and from your home.

10. BigBob410

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    As has been discussed before that is an example of how PC can be used. If you are off-duty and not moving a CMV under the direction of the company and are unladen you can be dispatched from anywhere. Here is an interview with DeLorenzo, Head of FMCSA, Where he says that PC doesn't have to start and stop in the same location.
    Getting at the ELD rule's mystifying byproduct: personal conveyance

Farmerbob1 and gokiddogo Thank this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Thank you for that excellent article. I suspect that one of the subjects of discussion that was not published (at the request of the government) was movement of unloaded trailers.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.