Your favorite GPS unit and why

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by TomBow, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Knock on wood my little garmin hasn't let me down. Even through the Bronx and chicago. Got it when I first started driving and have ran about 150k with it. Other than construction areas where an exit or street is blocked, or restricted to 8 ft wide it's pretty spot on

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheIncredibleBulk

TheIncredibleBulk Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2020
    MS/LA
    Liking and getting used to the Garmin OTR 700 and its voice command + hazmat features but still running my POS company tablet, Google Maps/Earth on my phone and RM atlas when in metro areas.

4. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Yes indeed. I live about 20 miles north of ATL. I sometimes sneak inside the perimeter if I have a viable copy of an 'inside the perimeter' bol. In that circumstance a truck would be allowed inside

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  5. TomBow

TomBow Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2020
    MN
    OK. I have first-hand experience with the Garmin DEZL OTR 700. Bottom line impression...how do I say this nicely "Piossa De ####". Sure, she's Pretty, all decked out in her Garmin finery, pretty screen, all smilin' at ya sayin' "Where to"....So I throw my suave Voice Commands at her and she say "Que?" seems she doesn't understand my savoir f'aire, so I drop some more smooth vocal goodness at her, I says "Find Truck Stops" and she counter's in the sweet sexy voice of hers "Here's the results I found for Rock Shops" this went on in several convolutions and we just never seemed to be able to be singing the same song, ya know? Took me right past one of my saved locations because I was dumb enough to let her tell me where to go. Re-routed me to a place that I had saved. Stupid thing is, I had the Di-rections all nice and copied down in my hand notebook....on paper.....wrote 'em myself....with a pen (not a crayon this time). but NO, I had to go and listen to her and drove right past the turn and over the bridge into another state. Oh Garmin! Why you do this to me, Garmin?? So lemme breakidonfoya: Nope. Didn't have a good experience. Trucker Path and Google Maps and the Atlas saved me from the sweet siren song that Garmin was singing, trying to lead me to turn into the ocean and drown (See tales of Brave Ulysses) with 50,000 pounds o' something on my back. Pretty much lead me to the conclusion that we would have to part ways, we're just no good for each other. Perhaps she'll find true love with another.....
    (Plus I played a SaWEET 12-string today, hmm, same price as the Garmin and I've always wanted one....what to do, what to do)
    Thanks for listening to my psychotic ramblings,
    and they called him TomBow

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.