Your GPS took you where??

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Ebola Guy, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    I am wondering as to the curious routings their GPS units said to go, you went and realized, "maybe that wasn't a good idea".

I don't have any doozy of a story, but recently, I had some time in the log book and a nice quiet Saturday morning. I plugged in my destination and chose "Shortest Routing" in my nuvi 205w. I exited the I-43 at exit 171 and headed west to DePere, WI. The county road was good (in WI, the county roads are generally good for trucks unless indicated otherwise, in my opinion). But as I continued, the freshly laid, nice wide road became more and more narrow, and less and less maintained. I looked for signs on truck traffic. The few trees I saw still looked as if they saw truck traffic. I became a little concerned when a farmer on his tractor looked at me as I drove past. Eventually the the road opened up after going down a steep hill, good thing I was empty. The road came to a "T", to the right, Class B road. To the left, "going the wrong way". I turned to the right and hoped no local PD would drive past. Soon enough I started to see some industries and new I was on a legal road. And made it to the shipper without incident. But I won't go that route again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    You didn't hear about the woman and her son out in Death Valley who followed their GPS unit and got stuck in some desert several months ago? Or the guy in WI following the directions and turned onto a snowmobile trail last winter? Both of those stories hit the news!

4. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    GPS units are "tools" they are not perfect and never will be
    I REPEAT "NEVER",call Garmin and they will tell you the same thing.

Its up to the user to determine,not take for granted what the unit displays.

With the highest level of skepticism/caution Ive still been routed on to surface streets and even directed to cross the runways at Nashville airport.:biggrin_2559:

Its no different then any other "TOOL" you have to be smarter then what your working with other wise you are :biggrin_25512:

5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    one of my co-workers followed his GPS a little too seriously and turned into the wrong driveway of a customer. They have the car entrance and the truck entrance, the car entrance, once you turn into the lot you go 20' and then your under a portico of a building with a 10' clearance, the truck entrance has no overhangs. He tried to squeeze a 13'3" tractor under a 10' building, needless to say, he was fired and the damage bill has never reported to the rest of us, but I know that there will be no X-mas bonuses or pay raises this year.

6. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    I don't have GPS...I don't need GPS and I don't want GPS! EVER!

7. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    I never wanted one either but I got mine cheap on a second hand deal
    If it weren't new in the box with extended warranty and all that I wouldn't have helped the guy out by purchasing it.

Comical toy for sure,but I'll admit it has shown things I would have missed without it.
    Maybe some day ........ but as it stands their limited accuracy and dependability aren't worth the sticker prices

8. Eight433

Eight433 Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2006
    in a truck, I use it to keep me from missing an interchange or something, and tracking my speed and ETA. thats about it. I understand how they can be VERY handy for finding adresses (think MMR and ambulance, etc)

Now, on my motorcycle, i find it to be invaluable. Keeps me pointed in the right direction even if I make my own route as I go, and it is a whole lot better than taping a map to the gas tank like the old days. It makes for a whole lot less stops to check the map.

9. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Naah, the map goes in my pocket as I'm riding the bike and folded to the section I need and gets changed every 130 miles when on a road trip to the next 130 mile section! I just use my PCMiler to do my route then print it out! But around home ..who needs a map! LOL. A mile on the bike is better than a mile in the truck!

10. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    I have a gps... But only use it as a REFERENCE!

Mine has attempted to put me off onto logging trails, minimum maintenance roads, residential sections in NYC, & the most comical..... It tried to put me out on the middle of the White Sands Missile Range.

Always use a old fashioned map for routing yourself & use the gps only for REFERENCE!

11. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I use my GPS so I can talk to someone.

"No you daffy #####, I'm going this way!"

:biggrin_25521:

JewelsnTools, Runaway02 and BigDan28 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.