11 Hours and not unloaded.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dauti Transport LLC, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Mental note to self. Don’t be late for Office Depot.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Staples, Walgreens, Targets, Costcos are not very forgiving either.

4. tiddlytanker

tiddlytanker Light Load Member

May 4, 2017
    Minot, ND
    This behavior is why rates need to be much higher.

5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Because relievers and shippers need to be accommodating. Waiting a day to deliver is one thing, a week is not. If someone wants to pay to hold the equipment, fine. If not it goes back.

Most of the time when the receiver gets cranky about the late arrival and starts talking "we'll get to you next week" and I tell them to mark refused and it can go back as I get paid regardless, the crankyness disappears. Often someone is looking for a bribe or kick back.

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    The shippers are a contract party.
    They sell the product and load it on a truck, thus fulfilling their part. Why would they be later involved, if the carrier and receiver can't come to terms?
    If the receiver wants it a week later because the truck arrived late, that's the problem of the carrier. The solution should not involve the shipper, if they choose not to get involved.
    Tough business for a small carrier it is.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    its ordered, not sold. Most of these operations have a 90 day revenue cycle.

The shipper orders the truck, but may not be the consignee.

And the carrier has the leverage to return the product. The terms of service for the carrier (brokered or not) allows this to happen, the consignee is the one who is included in this, if the consignee is the receiver, then the receiver has to foot the bill for the return for refusing (*delaying unloading within an unreasonable time) the load.

Out of many loads we returned, I only had one problem, just one and that was resolved very fast.

No the consignee is, that could be the shipper, the receiver or a third party. We get a lot of loads with a third party consignee.

THat's a simple view of things but it is more complicated than that with some companies and their suppliers.

No that's the problem for the consignee, shipper and receiver.

As an owner, I don't have to rent my trailer out for $50 a day, I won't let that happen. I won't be walked over and have told some of these dock managers they won't get the product when they want to it, find a place for it unload the truck or it goes back, I will take the loss because it is all about business reputation, not appeasing some clown who has an arrogant attitude running a dock.

It Is tough all over, it just depends on how you want to be walked on or to actually provide a proper service.

8. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Don't be late to a scrap cardboard place in Long Beach either. Forget the name. Was co- drivers fault. We waited aaaaaallll day to get unloaded.

JoeyJunk and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    As the Mikado said "The punishment must fit the crime".

Showing up an hour late, waiting 11 hours and then being told it won't get unloaded for a week is not reasonable. For the cost of sitting under the load for a week (uncompensated) the carrier is better off returning the load to the shipper, even if they don't get paid for the load at all. Wasting 3 days is better than wasting 9 days.

You said that you could beg like a ##### or bribe like a man. The other option is to stand up and say "a pox on both your houses" - hold a gun to my head and I'll hold one to yours.

I distinctly remember the first time I said "mark it refused and I'll take it back, I get paid either way". I'd busted my tuckus to get the load delivered on time just to be told that I was two hours late and would be "worked in when they could, but it would probably be tomorrow". I pointed out the appointment time that was printed on the BOL was the current time and that I was sorry for any miscommunication between the shipper and the consignee but we'd met the expectations given to us. Clerk said something along the lines of "it's not my fault that y'all suck at your jobs". I responded with "I don'tt have time to hang around waiting, so give me the bills back because I was leaving. If he wanted the load, he could talk to my company and I'd be back after my 10 hour break, if he didn't I would be taking it back to the shipper." He said "you won't get paid", I said "I'm a company driver, I get paid either way". He put me in a dock and I was out of there in an hour. Dollars to doughnuts he was looking for a bribe, when he was stood up to he backed down.

Three or four weeks ago I had a two stop load. First stop was a 0700 appointment with 6 skids, second was a 0900 10 miles away. Trailer had been loaded the night before and the BOL put in the back of the trailer but the shipper had neglected to unlock the trailer so I didn't leave the shipper until 0715. Got to the first stop at 0730 to find out that they don't start receiving until 0830. Got to the second stop at 0910. Clerk asked for the delivery number, which I didn't have. He looked it up by PO and said "your appointment was for 0900", forklift guy behind him said "looks like y'all be waiting awhile" as a joke. I responded "mark it refused and 'customer x' will reschedule'." Clerk said "can't you take a joke?". I told him that a lot of places will say that hoping to elicit a bribe to get unloaded or to get out of paying detention time, both guys were incredulous until I showed them a recent thread on TTR that mirrors the OP where the guy said he got unloaded after bribing someone.

These guys making the OP wait a week to unload are doing it because they don't want to start paying for the product. Say the product is on a "net 90" purchase order with a delivery date of 12/9/22, so the consignee has to pay for the product by 2/24/23 . Truck arrives 'late' and the consignee pushes delivery until 12/16/22, which means they don't have to pay until 3/3/23, effectively extending their line of credit at the cost of the carrier. As soon as they have to pay for storage or redelivery they become VERY accommodating.

Couple of weeks ago I was at a place where the receiving clerk had a note taped on her monitor "do not refuse loads from XXX". My guess is a carrier hauling for XXX pushed back against being abused which had serious repercussions for the consignee. We had a dedicated customer who had a customer that had 128 of our trailers loaded on their property. They were supposed to have 15. It took almost shutting down their plant before they started releasing our trailers so we could reload them with their raw materials.

People will fool around until they find out, at which point they start acting reasonably.

silverspur, Coover, austinmike and 6 others Thank this.
  10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Just tell them you just got off the phone with your attorney & he said, unload it, or its $1000 a day for storage, tieing up equipment, driver etc.

11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    8F04FEF1-ABF1-4D89-A0CE-C47EA6252C15.jpeg

My detention rate is $100/hr after 2 hours, driver part is $25/hr.

They don’t like being charged $2500 extra on a $2300 load but have been paid before with proof of arrival and departs with signature and time/date written on bol (Elog serves as arriving and departure time)

Coover, JoeyJunk, austinmike and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.