Advice on getting first trucking job with felony?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by wes86, Jun 6, 2023.

1. wes86

wes86 Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2023
    hey everyone. My buddy just started trucking about a year ago and said i should give it a shot ( i was a carpenter but have been wanting to try something different.) . So i got my class A permit, did the interview and went thought the hiring process ( interveiw, physical , drugtest). i was basically hirred on but after my background check they changed theyre mind. I have one felony ( i did not go to prison, some county time and check into probation once a month , first time ever) on my record from a year ago ( not driving related) and thats all.

so i still want to pursue trucking just not sure how this all works since its very new to me. i spent the last 4 weeks for this and was counting on it. I was just wondering if any of you might have any advice/suggestions/recommendations or anything of the sort. im in southern california, los angeles county and would be looking for a company that trains. I have my class A permit and physical as well. Would prefer local but i understand i cant be picky. Thank you!!!

ps: sorry if this is in the wrong forum section, im new here please feel free to move it to the correct section or correct me if i have posted something i shouldnt have.

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Someone will hire you with a felony. Certain felonies will temporarily disqualify you for a Hazardous Materials HM endorsement for 7 years. Other felonies will disqualify for HM for life. Mostly those are terrorism, trafficking, and some others. Here's the list for temp and permanent DQ of HM. Lots of trucking is done without HM Disqualifying Offenses and Other Factors | Transportation Security Administration

The question for every new driver with something in the background making it difficult to get hired is "do you want to work under the conditions of the companies that hire people with that background." There are many places to work, not all work conditions are the same, the companies that may hire a recent felon may, or may not, be a good place to work. @Chinatown may need to know if you have permission to travel out of state from whoever may supervise you now. EVERY employer and CDL school will require you to pass a drug screen. Failing a drug screen is a big deal. NOBODY cares about your state's opinion about any particular drug. Trucking is in many ways a federally regulated industry and the feds do not accept certain drugs even if your state, or you, or everyone you know has a different opinion. A few companies even go beyond the required urine drug screen and collect hair follicles for a drug screen that goes back maybe 6 months from the test date. Any applicant's opinion about such a hair test is of no consequence to anyone but themself. I am not assuming anything about you. This drug screen topic is VERY frequently an issue with newbies.

Numb and wes86 Thank this.
  5. wes86

wes86 Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2023
    Thanks for the reply. My charge doesn't fall under any of those listed on that website. I also don't do drugs and don't drink very often. Unfortunately going out of state is not an option because I have a family. Also doesn't bother me to work around felons alot of carpenters I worked with where and I never had a problem. I've been told of some companies worth trying but I don't know if I'm allowed to mention them here .
    I received a form called fciho individual assessment that basically asks me what I've done help better myself and I sent it back to the employer who was supposed to hire me.

justlikemarley3 and tscottme Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I sincerely hope trucking works for you. It has helped many of us, me included, turn our life around. Make any company you are interested in working for put you in contact with current drivers at the company doing the work. Talk to those drivers, maybe ask them to give your phone number to that other employee. Then ask them to describe their work day, how much new drivers make doing that work, and the type of schedules that new-hires work, plus anything else important to you. Ignore what the company website or any company recruiter tells you. AT BEST, those comments are the maximum possible good situation in perfect circumstances. They are like a car ad, not a driver review of the company. Some trucking companies have a section on this forum for their drivers to discuss the company. Most drivers on this forum have worked for numerous companies so ask away about specific companies.

Numb and wes86 Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    wes86 Thanks this.
  8. wes86

wes86 Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2023
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Robertsons is Southern California and Las Vegas/Clark County, Nevada runs.

wes86 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Robertson's will work with you on not leaving the state.

wes86 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.