Ag exempt explained

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Loudstacks, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Loudstacks

Loudstacks Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2020
    Florida
    Can someone explain how to work ELogs when under Agricultural Exemption? Do you run on off duty pc and annotate "under AG exemption"?

What are the restrictions + regulations? Is there a maximum distance or length of time you can be under ag exempt I'm assuming after your 14 has run out?

May be with a food tanker company that utilizes this under milk loads just want to know how this works beforehand and theirs still safety at the top of all this, if your drained and fatigued I don't give a ## about money or being a super trucker it's safety first on the roads for me so would like to know how this works and how and if it's being exploited by the carriers who don't care about how tired a driver is cause of something we're to happen it's the drivers cdl under fire not the carrier!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    When I run under exemption hauling propane or anhydrous ammonia, we just made a notation daily and ran. Had red marks on my eld. Went through an inspection in Yankton, SD and never had a problem. But just because that’s how we did it, doesn’t mean it’s right.

Loudstacks and Dave1837 Thank this.
  4. DixonM

DixonM Light Load Member

May 22, 2022
    To use ag exempt you will need to be heading or leaving the farm and can only be used about 170 miles from start point the book says 150 air miles that is supposed to work out just a touch over 170 actual miles

5. DixonM

DixonM Light Load Member

May 22, 2022
    If you are able to start the day in ag exempt I believe the 14hr clock does not kick on until you are out of the zone. But I do recommend you take a minimum of 10 hrs off on each shift.

Loudstacks and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  6. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    150 airmile radius of the farm. You can use Google maps to draw a radius circle. Actual road miles are irrelevant as long as you are within the 150mile radius. I have been inspected and the officer pulled up the locations on his laptop to check the 150 mile radius so I don't try to push that limit.

With my company, the only loads we can use it on are unpasteurized (raw) milk with going to pick up from a farm or after loaded at the farm. We log off duty personal conveyance and notate it as Agricultural Exemption.

I basically use it when it is to my benefit. I have no desire to drive 14 or 15 hrs a day. If I need the exemption to make it to pickup or need the extra drive time to get parking I will use it.

Loudstacks and Short Fuse EOD Thank this.
  7. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    My company,which hauls dairy, never uses the exemption for that. The only part they use is for the local hourly guys. The exemption that says they don't have to pay o.t. . They can get alot of hours but at straight time.

Loudstacks Thanks this.
  8. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    I use elog for ag. I put in pc and annotate in notes, “ agricultural 150 mile radius hours of service exempt.”

I was advised by fmcsa to log this way if I wish. I must explain in notes, otherwise it will be treated as pc! This keeps my elog keeping tabs on my ifta usage.

Loudstacks and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Cat sdp, Loudstacks and scythe08 Thank this.
  10. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    When I ran exempt for LPG we all just ran in violation. At the end of the week my clock was at like -61 hours or something. If we ever got stopped we just showed our exemption paperwork and were sent on our way

Crude Truckin' and lester Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.