Been an annoying last few days.

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Farmerbob1, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    4 days ago, decided to get a Tirepass at Loves since I had a couple drive tires a few pounds below 100 lbs cold. Instead of inflating the tires, the machine deflated all 8 of my tractor drive tires to between 70 and 90 lbs. The shop there refused to put me at the front of the line for service so they could re-inflate my tires with the high pressure shop line. I spent an hour with my personal trailer air line adapter filling all my tractor tires to 90+lbs.

The next day, I stopped again, at a different Loves, and the next morning it took them a tire tech to do a tirepass. At least their equipment worked.

Yesterday, I picked up a trailer in need of several small maintenance issues, and rolled into the Nashville TA. They said it would take them 45 minutes to get started on repairs. I settled down to wait. Two hours later, I finally find out that they only have a single mechanic, and they are on another job, with one more job in front of me. I told them to cancel my work order, and drove the remaining 300 miles to the Marietta Terminal.

This morning, the terminal techs made short work of the repairs needed, and I started on my PTI, so I could make delivery.

Got a message to stay put. Another driver broke down 1 mile from their final. Can you go rescue that load?

Sure. I went to rescue the load. While hooking up I discover that the trailer has a LRI trailer tire missing half its tread. It still holds pressure, but is leaking air badly. The auto inflator is the only thing keeping it from losing bead.

I hobble to final, make delivery, and am now waiting for a road call technician from a nearby TA to fix this tire. I don't dare put it on a major road at any sort of speed.

Hopefully this stretch of interesting days will end soon.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When it rains it pours eh?

I'm surprised the auto inflation has not drained your primary and secondary air dry.

This is not good. Wrestling with defective equipment and making one mile rescues of other company drivers who i also broken down.

Hang in there, fix everything you can see. You will get rolling soon enough.

4. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    At least two tires can be entirely missing and the auto inflation system will not drain the tanks. It doesn't allow enough air volume to pass. I know this because some turd at a truck stop stole the auto inflator lines from two of my tires in a truck stop about a year ago, and I was able to run fine even though the line that fed both missing lines was open and losing air rapidly.

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Thank you for a new lesson today I learned something.

See here that's where certain things in my world of trucking, we never had those fancy auto inflator anything. best we could do is a 75 foot airhose, glad hand, some chocks and feed off the emergency line with the trolley valve tied down to inflate a tire.

Farmerbob1 and tucker Thank this.
  6. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I'm sitting in Dalton with a tread gone at the Goodyear. They only have two mechanics. I was going to hit Atlanta at 2:30. Now it's going to be more like 5. I will be out of hours and dispatch schedules a 6:15 am delivery in Dickson, Tn, 280 miles away.

Farmerbob1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I guess your ten he break has definitely begun

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I have 5 hours left total. Time I hit Atlanta and drop and hook won't be much left.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Your workday today is over. Get a hotel room or a dinner and a sleeper break for a full night's sleep.

(You have storms inbound so tomorrow is going to be a little noisy so it's good to rest up. I don't think your appointment applies anymore. Maybe need a new one)

10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    To go down 75 to Atlanta on a Friday, I'd wait it out. That city is too much trouble on Fridays.

11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I think what he was saying is that you might want to use the off duty time you have right now to start a 10 hour break then push that drop and hook to tonight then drive straight to deliver your second load.

You didn't give quite enough details for us to know if that's possible though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.